First impressions of new MH-DA006, Musetec flagship

I have received the 006 almost a week ago and have been breaking it in. The price at Shenzhenaudio is $3,900.00 USD, $600 more than the 005. The ad copy states:

"DA006 is a new generation of flagship DAC developed by Musetec over three years and launched in 2024. During this period, it has undergone more than ten revisions and adjustments.

Compared to the previous DA005, the listening experience of DA006 has been improved in all aspects. DA006 has clearer and richer details, a stronger sense of texture, a more stable sound base, better detail control, a wider soundstage, fuller and more powerful, smoother and more natural. . ."

Some brief listening during break in has been very very positive. I will report back when it has run at least 300 hours.

dbb

@brbrock Musetec states clocks are custom builds for whatever that means. LKS USB-100 uses Crystek CCHD-957, and this cheapo DDC sells for $280, can't imagine clocking in 006 being anything lesser.

Really don't know how Mitch2 does it, doing a two dac comparison really time consuming. 006 is my focus at the moment, will get back to Laiv after full burn in of 006 in main rig.  Laiv in secondary rig undergoing full burn in, after that will go back into main rig.

. 006 and my perceptions of it continue to evolve with more listening time. The added level of resolution 006 provides vs 005 takes some time to come to terms with, therefore, vast majority of my listening focus has been on this newfound information. With more listening time I've come to accept this as  new reference standard which allows me to focus on other things. Amongst other things to focus on is getting out of the analytical listening mode and into musical enjoyment mode, 006 has made this seamless with it's natural presentation and illuminating and meaningful resolving of the lowest level details.

As to continuing analysis of sound, at around 225 hours, sound stage continues to enlarge, still the slightest veil as it pertains to transparency, slightly closed in character at times, very minor at this point. Slightly diminished macro and micro dynamics are the most noticeable deficiencies at the moment. result is slight loss of expression vs 005. This loss of expression means performers seem less alive in room vs what I remember with 005. I first noticed this at around 200 hour mark, somewhat improved from that, hope to get up to 300 hour mark this week.

Been privately conversing with a member here who's exclusively using I2S input on 006, has no usb capability. And since LAIV Harmony purchase planned on going I2S, I have Denafrips Gaia and two different I2S specific (no video capability) cables coming in, one all copper, the other Tubulus Concentus pure silver.

I don't recall ever seeing a 005 review using optimized I2S input so this intrigues me with 006. Going I2S, adding a component and cable, but eliminating usb to I2S conversion within dac, trade offs? 006, as well as Harmony offer sync or async modes which means using host clock or local/dac clock, Gaia clock is reportedly one of the best OXCO out there, good test for quality of 006 clock. Probably a month or so out with burn in/ waiting on Tubulus cable build to get good read on preferred input.

Perhaps I'm restating the obvious, but there was reporting on the 005 thread of using DDC conversion of USB to I2S outside of the 005 and comparing it to the same conversion inside of the 005.  One or two people preferred it even with a rather inexpensive DDC.  Others were sceptical.

What I think has not been discussed and might be of more interest, at least to me, is the use of an ethernet to I2S streamer avoiding any use of USB or SPDIF (or its siblings).   

Of course I2S is more easily accomplished on the 006 as it has options for a variety of pin-outs.

@sns  It would be great to hear from your 006 correspcorrespondent on his sound quality impressions and use of I2S. Is his unit broken in?

Member I'm in contact with using I2S directly out of streamer so no usb. Only 130 hours on unit at this point.

I was one of those who tried I2S with 005, Singxer SU6 with pretty inferior HDMI cable, never really optimized it, sold Singxer soon after. Really not interesting in optimizing that setup as USB with 005 was entirely satisfying. Same holds here, 006 just great with USB, most of my interest in getting the Gaia was in applying it to LAIV dac and any subsequent R2R dac I may purchase in future. My understanding of R2R dacs is they more sensitive to clocking vs our Sabre chip dacs, segregated/dedicated clock signal run on I2S optimum for most precise clocking.