Feickert Volare + Shick 9 + Hana Umami Red

Just pulled the trigger on Dr. Feickert's Volare base, Shick 9 in. tonearm, and Hana Umami Red cart. Anyone else running the same or a similar rig? I'm upgrading from a Rega P6 + Hana SL cart. I expect the new rig to outperform the Rega by several orders of magnitude. Will have it in a couple of weeks. Until then I'll continue waiting for this pot to boil.     

128x128jkirsch

I know cost doesn't equal sound. That's why I'm sticking with my Sutherland for now. I plan to audition a Manley Chinook and go from there. But that's about six months away. 

At the level you were previously at, I wonder what will be the more appreciated sonic  "upgrade?"

Schick w/new phonostage or Kuzma/existing phonostage?

My guess is arm less dramatic than a different phonostage.

"Kuzma Stogi 9 in. gimbaled tonearm"

What model is that?

And have you ever used the Sutherland KC Vibe phonostage? I have no doubt that upgrading the Sutherland to something like a Manley would yield further appreciable results. But I think you're undervaluing the strength of the Sutherland. I've had this conversation with several sales associates who could easily sell me on one of their pricier phonostages. But all have said stick with the Sutherland for now and upgrade later. I was happy to buy one now, and could have easily been sold several "nicer" (i.e. more expensive) phonostages, up to $4k. But my trusted sales advisors at different shops all recommended I stay put for now. And I agree because I want to hear the Volare/Kuzma/Red rig with my trusted Sutherland for a while, then enjoy the upgraded sound with a new phonostage later. I like this tiered approach because it allows me two separate upgrades instead of going all in at once. What phonostage do you use and why? 

" you're undervaluing the strength of the Sutherland"

No-that's why I mentioned in my statement  "at the level you were previously at"

You have an already good setup. But going forward,  you're entering the subtle results, but wide wallet opening zone. which is why I'm curious if a completely different phono pre -tube might be heard as a more noticeable/likeable difference?

Perhaps I may be way off, and the new arm is a significant upgrade-more so than the phonostage at equivalent monetary investment. 

Either way- you're "closer." Happy listening.

Happy listening.