Feelings on Napster?

Hi, Since this is in part a forum about music, I'll put this statement and question on the table. In the past few months, I've begun to use Napster online. I'll look through the forum for reccomendations on good albums and tracks, then I'll download it on Napster, take a listen and, if I like it, purchase the album. My opinion is that Napster is really opening up accessibility to music for alot of people, allowing them to try new things that before they wouldn't have access to or simply wouldn't be prepared to invest in. It's helped expand my own horizons I know and I think it's good for music overall. Any opinions?
issabre

Showing 2 responses by pghedgeb215

No Carl, I'm not the same person, and Ralph, you are wrong... you exagerate the conflict between record label and artist. Their relationship is one of neccessity... a partnership. Record companies provide an invaluable service to artist. They put up capital (risk), find and coordinate the producer/engineer/graphic artist, they promote the product, and set up distribution. Only a very small percent of artist can do all this alone. As for MTV and radio... each pay licensing fees for the use of music. Roll a tape all day long. What you'll get is a low quality copy of music you may use, legally, for personal listening. If that's the way you like to listen... knock yourself out. Distribute this home recording or re-broadcast it and that's a differnt issue. If you want to check out music so badly find the website for the artist, go to the lablel's website and listen, go to your local cd store which offers "try before you buy".... just don't steal it and tell me you're justified... payback for those greedy labels? No way, you're ultimately cheating the artist and anyone whose livelyhood depends on cd sales. Would you steal a car just because you don't like dealing with salesmen and not to mention those greedy auto manufacturers? You probably would if someone could pipe it over the net to you.
It's simple... distributing copywritten, intellectual property, in any form, is illegal. This forum is full of absurd allegations... greedy record companies, cheated starving artist, and those sweet, pimple-faced teenagers who download MP3's before they rush out and buy the CD. People, get real; stop trying to justify stealing. From what I've read here, it is clear many of you have little understanding of the record business. Your hard earned $15 is NOT gobbled up by Porche-driving A&R guys. There are MANY hard working and talented individuals involved in the process of creating music. Songwriters, artists, publishers, musicians, managers, studios, producers, engineers, assistants, mastering engineers, arrangers, technical people, graphic artists, photographers, manufacturers, promotions, and let's not forget... lawyers for all the above. Each of these individuals make a living from the sale and distribution of the music they help create. Napster, and the equivillents, whether by intent or not, contribute to breaking the laws are in place to protect these individuals.