Feel let down by your audio software choice?

4 years ago when I started ripping my CD collection to a bunch of WAV files onto my hard drives, I researched the options carefully. I chose MusicMatch, which at the time was consistently one of the best-rated jukebox software. Indeed, I find it continues to organize my collection well, and I love the Audio DJ feature.

Unfortunately, MusicMatch is no longer supported. Supposedly it's going to be integrated with Yahoo's product (which I find much inferior). The alternative, iTunes, I use on my Mac but it, too, lacks some of the features that I would want in a music management software.

And, of course, now I have WAV files that MusicMatch organizes well, but iTunes has a limited ability to read the metadata (tags) in those files, which make them difficult to port over to iTunes. To complicate matters, Slim Devices Squeezebox does not support MusicMatch.

What I really want is a product that allows for easy management of large amount of (potentially uncompressed) music data, that can have pieces of that full collection selectively (and automatically) exported to different "libraries" in a compressed format for synchronization with one or more portable players. Is it that hard for the industry to see that there's a niche for that kind of product?

I just feel let down by the leading software in music management.

Michael
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil
Michael: Try JRiver MediaCenter. It may have the features you're looking for. I believe it has a 30 day trial period. I use it with 100+ uncompressed WAV files. It automatically tags WAV files and retrieves cover art. I've found it to have the most detailed and cleanest sound when used in Direct Sound mode-better IMHO than foobar.
Thanks for the suggestion, bigamp. I haven't tried JRiver MediaCenter yet, so I'll have to give it a try. I'm presently using MediaMonkey in a process of reorganizing my data files into a directory structure and lossless format that I believe will be more universally usable by other software.

Michael
I also use JRiver Media Center. Fine audio, lots of features, fast database. I've got about 6000 Flac tracks in it and retrieves quickly. Good Theater view too. It's on a dedicated PC hooked up to the stereo via a USB DAC.

I also use Foobar for quick playing,if I'm working at the office computer and want to use minimal resources.

I think Media Monkey is good also. Frankly, Media Center is just prettier.
I use exactaudiocopy (freeware recommended by Stereophile) to copy CDs onto HDD without any compression, into .wav files. Play them back using WMP 11, excellent quality. Not using any sound card, just the on board sound of my Gigabyte motherboard. Give it a try.
It's been exactly one month since I started this thread, so I thought I'd provide an update. Thanks in large part to MediaMonkey, I now have achieved in digital audio what I've been searching for about 4 years now. I took my collection of WAV files, placed them into an organized directory structure (very difficult considering most of my collection is classical), converted them to FLAC (the lossless format that I've settled on), and tagged them in a consistent fashion.

The entire is collection on a Linux server, managed by MediaMonkey on a Windows machine. (I also have exported the files as MP3's for use on iTunes on my Mac.) Slimserver software sits on the Linux box, and this drives the Squeezebox (via gigabit ethernet over Cat 6 wire) in my basement that's connected to the stereo.

I have a laptop running Linux that I use preferentially over the Squeezebox's remote control for easier control of playlists and such while I'm listening.

I must say that I'm now thrilled with the results. My music has never been more accessible, and sounds wonderful. Friends who come over are amazed at the power of this system. And frankly, so am I.

Michael