Fedex or UPS?

Which is the safer bet when shipping something heavy such as an amplifier? I have never shipped such a heavy item before. Thanks
audiofire5228
I prefer UPS only because it's more convenient. The advice given so far on careful packing is right on. I found out the hard way when I shipped a 65 pound amp, without original packing, just how important solid packing is. The buyer returned the damaged amp and repairs weren't cheap.
Check out this link in the "Audiogon CES Auctions" regarding shipping:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/registry/terms_ces.html#shipping

"UPS will be the default shipper whenever possible. However, ground shipments are far too risky for high end equipment, so "2-day" or "3-day select" will be used depending on shipping distance. Generally speaking, East Coast shipments will go 3-Day, and most others will be 2-day. California and other neighbors of Nevada may receive regular UPS shipments."

So ground shipments are far too risky for high end equipment? Sounds like the voice of experience. However, the shipping price sky rockets for 2-3day shippments as compared to ground. Will the person(s) responsible for the above link please chime in.
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

You need to think like your competiting in a "physics egg drop contest." Ideally you'd want the equipment to be able to sustain up to a two story drop onto its corner. And be able to survive out in the rain for up to a day or two. Only then will you be ready for ground shipments.

I always give myself this quick "acid test" after I pack something. "now that it's packed, would I feel comfortable THROWING this package five feet in the air BOUNCING it off of the WALL?" If no, I repack it better or double-box it better.

I usually place the item is a plastic shopping bag or trashbag (to prevent rain damage). Then goes on a couple layers of bubble wrap (big 1 inch bubbles). I collect the stuff by the square yard whenever I can. Then I get some heavy packing foam which I tightly fit between the bubblewapped item and the first box. Then I always double box the item, separating the boxes with heavy foam or peanuts or newpaper should I run out of heavy foam. I tape both boxes well. I also address BOTH BOXES in case the outer double box gets annilated during transit (I had that happen once, and UPS still delivered it to the address I handwrote, thank god.

IF the item is really heavy (like an amp) or big (like speakers) I single box the item, then I crate it up on a pallet at work. Work will let me use one of their motor freight carriers for cost. USually ends up being about $90/insured for a 4x4 pallet and up to 175 pounds. I sold a pair of speakers that way once.

Life is too short to go cheap when shipping a monster amp or speakers. Either spend the extra $50 now, or spend the extra $50 on blood pressure medication and lose two weeks life expectacy when you see the box scuffed up at its destination. It's hard to swallow, but then I so anal with my gear, I just about have to be an insane packer, or drive the gear myself.
UPS is the devil! I have had two really bad experiences with them, especially if you use their "UPS Store" to ship. They use this as a cover since they are an "independant business" and not UPS proper. They managed to bend the legs and mess up the finish on a Billy Bags rack I bought. From what I can tell they dropped it off a truck, ran it over, took a forklift to it, and then dropped it from a helicopter to my door, and I never saw a dime from them. FedEx ground home delivery is also a bit dicey with heavier stuff, the lighter stuff I have had no problems with. If you can send it to a business address as this tends to end up better for all, they do handle things better it seems that way. Best advice, insure for more than selling price, pack well, ensure they know the contents of the box, and hope for the best.