Favorite obsolete formats.....

What are your favorite of these? I’m unsure if any stations broadcast in AM stereo nowadays. 8 track, Mini-disk, Cassette, VHS, CED, Beta, DAT, Reel to Reel, Am Stereo, Laserdisc, Quadraphonic, Dolby FM. Surely many formats have been overlooked.
128x128wturkey

Showing 2 responses by cd318

MiniDisc and Hi-MD.

My dislike of certain magazine reviewers reached near pathological levels as I used to read one disparaging review after the next. 

It was that word 'lossy' that they all, to a man, latched onto.

Yet I would bet that not a single one of them paid profiteering prejudiced shills could unsightedly distinguish between a MD recording and the CD/vinyl/ hi-res original.

As a result of their unceasing negative propaganda we lost a wonderfully versatile recording / compilation medium.

Instead of serving their readers many of these goons continually seek to exploit them. 

Worst of the current bunch? Darko and What Hi-Fi are the two that immediately spring to mind.

Sorry, I got just a bit triggered there, but it still needs saying and repeating.
@freedeez,

"I swear some of my greatest listening experiences were with those cassette tapes."

Me too. I even had one of those portable Sony Walkman players. 

Virtually every Sunday evening was spent listening to the UK top 40 with a loaded cassette. By the late 90s I'd upgraded my NAD tuner and switched from NAD cassette to to Sony MD but there wasn't that much worth bothering with in the charts.

For me the final straw with cassettes came when they started putting the tapes into sealed housings instead of the usual ones with 5 screws.

This made repair a real pain. I also didn't like how hot the cassettes got when played in the car. 

The sound of some of those cassette car units (1980s/1990s) seemed to be a lot better than what I now hear in many car CD players. 

That could just be my memory but there's no doubt that there were some very good car units back then.