fabulous Technics EPC-100 series re-tip

I'm pretty sure many of you guys own fabulous Technics MM EPC-100 (MM) in your rasenal, especially their top models like (P or C versions) MK3 and MK4.

The question is how to upgrade this cartridges with a new tip, cantilever, suspension:

-How can do the job properly and how much is it, how is the sound after upgrade compared to the original?

-How good is the motor of this cartridge?

-It's worth to invest more in new boron cantilever, new tip etc?

-No one can provide pressure fitted tip to the boron cantilever?

P.S. I know Axel can do the job, not sure if he can change the suspension, Soundsmith will not do that. VdH is not available in my area. Who else can treat that Technics MM right ?

Anyone on here did the same to their Technics EPC-100 mk3 or mk4 ?
128x128chakster

Showing 2 responses by jpjones3318

I sent Andy two P100CMK4 and a P205CMK4 for suspension repair. I was very clear to him, and stated twice, that only suspension repair was to be performed, and the original cantilevers had to remain intact. The two P100CMK4 were NOS, and the P205CMK4 was used but didn’t show any wear.

To make a very long story short, the next I heard from him he was billing me for two new cantilevers and one repair. He didn’t stop after destroying one of the P100CMK4 cantilevers, but also destroyed the P205CMK4 cantilever. No remorse, no apology; all he cared about was the money he was losing because I wouldn’t pay for the new cantilevers I expressly forbid before I even sent him the cartridges.

I had to pay for the repair to get my valuable cartridges back, and was further disappointed when the "repaired" unit was near complete collapse after only half a side. Further, under my microscope, I could see no signs of repair. This ended in a PayPal dispute I won, as there was simply no way I was sending the stylus back for ’further evaluation’ after what he did to the other two.

The downside of the PayPal dispute is he now won’t return the broken stylus and case until I pay a newly made-up "evaluation" charge and 3x actual shipping costs, which equal to what he lost in the dispute.

I know a lot of people have been happy with his work, but when the chips are down he won’t even offer an apology for his mistakes, let alone make the slightest attempt at making it right. He’s a no-integrity player in my book.

There was really no doubt in my mind that he would, but I wanted to afford him a reasonable amount of time to reconsider.  

I wanted the broken bits back so I could open them up to see how they're assembled, as I've it in my mind to see if I can repair the suspensions.  I'm fairly good at precision work, so I figure it's worth at least a little investigation.  I also happen to know a materials scientists who specializes in polymers. 

All the examples I have here have a good deal of live left in the styli save one.  And, it would've been nice to have the chance to make something of the $1K in bits Andy destroyed.