Extremely budget minded system for under $500.00 ?

I am helping a friend look for a system to start in. Any suggestions for a $500.00 limit budget? Speakers, receiver and cd player, or all in one unit. I know that for most of us the ultimate is something we srive for (and the cost sometimes exceeds our initial expectations) but this is a serious question and may I add, a challenging one. The $500.00 is maybe even pushing it. I would appreciate some help on this one. Thanks
proclaim123

Showing 3 responses by pabelson

Hmmm, anybody want to ponder the logic of hooking up a $50 DVD player with a $40 cable?
Amplification: I'd start with something like the Pioneer VSX515-K receiver. It's 110w/ch in stereo, and could serve in a starter HT set-up as he upgrades. Street price $170.

Source: Pick it. Any name-brand DVD player. The differences are trivial. Street price: $50-60.

Speakers: Here, your friend has to listen. PSB Alphas, Paradigm Atoms or Titans, Infinity Primus 150 or 160. Do not make this decision for him. List price: $200-260.

The DVD player comes with an I/C. Use it. Hardware store speaker wire runs 20-30 cents per foot, depending on gauge. Do not spend money on wire in a sub-$500 system. Spend every penny you can on the best speakers you can find.
Buying a minisystem and discarding the speakers defeats the purpose of a minisystem. You can buy better electronics for less.