External crossover good next move?

Hello Audiogoners, budget-minded post

I have an NAD C320BEE amp with a basic Velodyne subwoofer (CT-80) inserted between pre and amp sections (per Bob Reynolds suggestion--thank you). Source is a Lite DAC-AH, fed by an NAD CD player.

The problem is the cable runs to and from the subwoofer need to be quite long (at least 6 feet). I have a DH Labs cable from the DAC to pre, but cables running to the sub and back, I am ashamed to say, are $29 Monster cable. So I wonder how much I am losing in the Monster cable. Also I wonder about the quality of the crossover in my sub: this is an 80-watt HT-oriented sub I got for $300 new in 2001.

I am considering an external crossover, like Paradigm x-30 or Outlaw ICBM. Could I expect a real improvement through this upgrade? Does anyone have a sense of quality of the crossover in a sub like mine, versus those products?

I like the sub-monitor arrangement, and am not quite ready to buy a new amp, although I would not be surprised to hear that is best route. Any ideas appreciated
abarnett
Here is the questions; it didnt post initially.

Re; issues with subwoofer integration.

Q2. They either need a crossover hanging on the end of the power amp or an active filter between the pre and power amps, aren't both likely to ruin the sound from any carefully chosen system?

Answer in post above.

Generic, yes.

Search in the speaker asylum for more info.
Post removed 
A follow-up. I went ahead and got an Outlaw ICBM on Ebay. This device was mainly built for DVD audio/SACD players, but can be used as a stereo crossover and got good reviews. So now I have good quality ICs from source to main amp, and a much shorter trip.

I'm happy with the effect. Definite improvement in detail, clarity, e.g., I can hear nuances in vocals I haven;t before; things seem a little better sorted out. Not night and day, but appreciable. I have not yet tried the two sets of speaker wire approach Rob recommends, but will.

Only complaint is I'm noticing the sub more on certain song, a little thuddy. This may be a matter of tuning things. Or I'm just turning on it now that I have started to imagine better! Thank you all for your suggestions