Experiences with Blu-ray players

I'm starting to build a home theater and am investigating BD players. I could use some stories of experiences others have had.

I'd like to keep good 2-channel capability, but I do have a few multi-channel SACDs so I'd like to be able to play them as well. My 2-channel gear consists of Theta source, Cary preamp, Threshold amplification and Avalon speakers. Given that, I'm thinking that a BD player with analog audio outs and a multi-channel preamp might be best for my particular priorities. My wife would kill me if I brought home the Ayre, so I'm in the sub-$2k realm. The reading I've been doing brings the following manufacturers to mind as having products I could afford and might like:

Oppo: Seems to be the default player for the past couple of years. I like the 7.1 analog audio output and the universality of the transport. The high, generally positive traffic on the various forums seems a good sign, too. I am concerned about it's 2-channel audio performance, though.

Cambridge: Ditto with the 7.1 analog output. A bit more talk about the sound, but less about the video.

Marantz: The 7007 has only two-channel analog out, but 7006 has 7.1 analog audio out.

Arcam: Reliability problems? I haven't experienced any with my Arcam DVD, but I don't own any other Arcam gear, so my experience is limited.
128x128macdonj

Showing 1 response by noble100

Gammajo,
I'm also looking to add a BD player to my HT and I've been researching via the internet sites and forums and came to the conclusion that the Oppos seem like a good solution. They just came out with 2 new models: the 103 and 105. These replace the prior 93 and 95 models. The 95 and 105 supposedly offer better audio performance than the 93 and 103. I should tell you, though, that I have no firsthand experience with any BD players and have no affiliation with Oppo. No disrespect intended for the prior OP's suggestion of the Sony.

You're right, you'll need a prepro (preamp/processor) with multi-channel inputs to properly incorporate the BD player with your current 2-channel system. You'll also need HT passthru on your Cary preamp if you want to have the option of listening to 2-channel, multi-channel audio and HT surround all on the same system. You didn't mention it but I'm assuming your TV/Projector has atleast 1 HDMI input.

If you need to make this more financially acceptable to your wife, you could always buy a good used prepro either here or from another site. I could give you plenty of suggestions on what would work well for you. My prepro just conked out on me and I just researched and bought a very good unit for little dough on the internet. Let me know. Good luck.