Eversolo DMP 8 audition going poorly...

Evaluating as a standalone streaming player.

8 hours run time. So far sounds dull and lifeless.

• Streaming Qobuz only
  • DH Labs ethernet
  • Zavfino Fina power cable
  • Zavfino Fusion XLR interconnects

DMP 8 settings

• DSD audio: native (default was DSD over PCM - sounds the same)
  • Volume: max
  • DAC filter: short delay slow roll-off (default)

Any ideas from other DMP 8 owners?

macg19

@ossicle2brain - to some extent true - but streaming services do not necessarily stream the same material. I tried (1) LP, (2) same LP recorded into DSD by me, (3) HDTracks 24/96, (4) CD and (5) Tidal. (1) and (2) sounded identical to me via really good DAC. Everything else sounded different and hi rez not necessarily better. BUT some streams sounded better than my ripped CDs.

Also, people use streamer embedded DAC which is often a poor implementation.

I use source with the best sound for a particular recording. Sometimes LP (most often recorded into DSD), sometimes stream, sometimes CD.

@magp19 nothing beats operating Tidal from a PC with mouse and 34" screen. I don't use iPad much. Besides, this allows me to do other things while music is playing, if I have to.

One of the things I like most is not being in the same room and being able to control the A8 without kneeling or the unit being anywhere in sight via the app on my phone and tablets.Some may get the impression the only way to operate the A8 is to physically touch the device...

BTW the app UI works great in my opinion, but I'm sure some will find cause for complaint now that it is being mentioned.