Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru
Tbab,

I have no poblem doing another audition at your place in Elgin. The only Dali dealer in the Chicago area is in Elgin (I forget the name of the audio store). I've been dying to hear some Dali speakers. They consistently receive killer reviews!

Before I come I'd like to know the components in your system (speakers, amps, etc) so I can prepare myself accordingly.

AVGURU
1Markr,

I thought I did lay out both the similarities and differences in my lenghty shoot-out results. If there is something specifically you are looking for or I missed please e-mail me with your phone number and we can discuss by phone.

Regarding the Audio Aero, I believe 711 has had that unit in his sytem for comparision purposes and both the the Exemplar and APL modified 3910 were better. Which is a really strong statement considering the AA Capitole is supposed to be one of the best standalone players (in terms of musicality)on the market.

I wish everyone could hear the APL & Exemplar Exemplar Denon's as well as the Modwright Sony's because its the musicality that's just amazing. A lot of us on Audiogon have very nice high end cd players and systems which reveal loads of detail, transparency, soundstage, imaging, etc but none of that means ANYTHING until you hear the modded Sony and APL play music!

Before I started this forum (I'm embarrassed to say this) I didn't really understand what 2 two and three dimensional music was. Terms like holographic I just took for granted...thinking since I had very high end the equipment the sound I was hearing must be holographic.

Now that I've really heard it I can never go back to music without it!

AVGURU

Avguru,
Bravo..great review.
When you compared the Dan Wright Modded Sony to the other players, could you comment on the differences that was heard when playing and comparing CD's...and SACD's.
Garymd,

711's sytem sounds very good. I had never heard or seen Cornwalls before (but I've seen them discussed favorably on Audiogon) and therefore I was pleasantly surpised by the sound. I must tell you however that 711 has had these speakers modded to the tune of about $1,200 so they are not OEM anymore.

My impressions: Dynamic as hell, easy to drive, play loud and the hoarn loaded tweeter doesn't miss any frequencies including those heard by dogs! Also very good bass response and mid-range but the tweeters and dynamics are definitely the strong points. The Center fill imaging was also very impressive. They are definitely full sounding even though they are not shaped like a traditional floor-stander (they are wide like a rectange but maybe only 25 inches tall. Some of the bass drum and low end orchestral sounds we were getting were phenomenal. Mfg's love to exaggerate the low end response of their speakers but I would say these can get down to a realistic 30 HZ at a reasonable volume before starting to roll off.

Regarding the VRD tubed power amps, I had never heard those either. But what was amazing to me was even though we were using a tubed cd player and tube amps the sound was never overyly warm or syrupy, there was plenty of dynamics and the system cranked out some very high db's without a hiccup or any sense of strain. Plus transparency was very good, which I believe to be a function of both the cd player and the amp.

Mid-range clarity was also a strong point and that is where I think they really excelled. I felt there were times where the bass control could have been a little tighter. It was good but didn't put a "chokehold" (in terms of control) on the bass like some of the Krell or Levension amps I've heard.

711 does not have an ideal room configuration which makes the sound we heard even more amazing. I'm sure 711 can fill you in on better details than I.

AVGURU
AXGURU, thanks for the complimenets of my system. I need to clarify the cornwall facts, I said I have 1200 into the pair, including new crossovers, made by a fellow klipsch lover Dean, from the Klipsh forum, I also had cardas binding posts put in so I can take the Niles switching box out of my signal path. The VRD's are mad by Craig Ostby of NPSValves, also from the Klipsch forum. I added NOS Gold Lion KT88's, Mullard fat base 5AR4, mullard 12AX7, and Amperex 12AU7 phase splitter. I chose to have almost unlimited SPL for our session, and you did not get to hear the Cardinal X1's with the Western Electric 300B's. I still caqnnot find a better speaker for my awful room under 10k used. Any suggestions would be great. I belive a lot of people in the pursuit of wonderful audio, poo poo Klipsch as being low end, or colored. I feel that the cornwalls are some of the BEST speakers in the world under 10 grand, maybe more. I used to be a yuppie shopper, now, I try to shop with what I hear, with my ears in my system. I am amazed myself, that my speakers are the cheapest part of my system, sans wire. I am now embarking on that journey too, and hope I do not go too nutz. AVGURU, I believe you were taking Alex wronf when he chimed in, but I will leave that to you 2 guys.

I have been having a blast with this journey, and learning quite a lot along the way.

I have tried not to make blanket statements, and to keep an open mind, and ears here. If some of you have construed me to be a bit overzealous, I apologize. Bear with me, and us as we venture into more in depth comparisons in the future. I will try not to make any rash judgements. I do have opinions, so far, but, all is subject to change.

Tvad, you are right that there is no one holy grail, just as I realized I have yet to find 1 amplifier that make me totally happy, I fear I must have 2 digital sources too. In this journey, if we want to be done, we need to settle, some where. But, at this time, I am not ready.