EQ before Preamp?

I am switching my preamp from a Parasound P3 to a Jungson model that does not have a processor/tape loop like the Parasound does. What will happen when I use this signal path: Linn Kremlin > Behringer 2496 EQ > Jungson Preamp > Power Amp.
joeylawn36111

Showing 8 responses by rodman99999

Eldartford- I use Behringer equipment all the time when doing installs for venues, and gigs for a few bands(the cheapskate ones). I've been in them. Sorry to burst your bubble: I've yet to see one Burr-Brown(DAC/ADC/IC/transistor) Vishay, Caddock, Holco or Ohmite Gold(resistor), Black gate, auriCap, musiCap, V-cap, Solen, RelCap(capacitor), Schottky Diode, toroidal transformer, gold/rhodium plated oxygen-free copper(or even Switchraft) input or output on any of the pieces I've worked with. That goes for 95% of the other professional equipment I've dealt with in the last 30 years as well(except for maybe the Switchcraft parts). These components are found in virtually all of the higher-end audio pieces(I'm not referring to mega-buck units either). The pro manufacturers simply cannot build their gear with high performance parts, and sell it for 200 to $300.00(in the case of the 2496). OH- I forgot: It all sounds the same, right?
Eldartford- Have you ever used any Black Gates in anything? Some say salt, sugar, white flower, beef, MSG, sunlight, etc, etc are to be avoided. Do you? Burr-Brown is recognized in the industry as one of the best. My bubble is one of experimentation and experience with components, in audio equipment over the last 30 years(started by modding new Hafler amp kits for my customers), a love for the sound of live music (as a sound tech and musician), and an extensive(35 year) familiarity with professional equipment. Blah, blah, blah. I'll just enjoy this little bubble, and the Julian Hirschs(I don't ever listen to live music, but I have a pretty good idea what it sounds like") of the world can enjoy theirs. Just think of all the money I coulda saved if everything sounded the same to me too. DARN!!
Joeylawn- I have no doubt that he knows a great deal about electronics as relates to Naval Warfare. How much of that experience translates into creating the illusion of live music, played by real musicians, in the original venue in the listening room? That has been, is now and always will be the goal of true high-end audio, though it's not everyone elses goal obviously. He made the statement that Behringer equipment(and/or other pro gear) is built using the same quality components as high-end audio equipment, which is completely wrong. That is what I challenged. I've been working with pro gear for 35 years, working on it for 30, and I know better.
Eldartford- Since you asked: I would have to define a quality component as one that doesn't impress it's own signature on the signal it's passing. Resistors are noise generators and bulk foils(like the Vishays) are some of the quietest. Before you scoff, read these:(http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits/Noise/Noise_Analysis/res_noise.htm)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor). You'll note that the encyclopedia mentions how the TCR of the foil resistor is extremely low(the goal of any critical electronic circuit is low noise). I'm truly surprised that I even have to mention these facts, given your experience with military contracts. You should know how tightly the government controls the high quality of it's acquisitions via the mil-spec guidelines, Vishay being one of the approved component suppliers. The capacitors I mentioned in the other post were all designed to pass audio signals specifically, and likewise, are much more transparent than lesser quality caps. I wouldn't presume to tell someone that their preference in sounds is incorrect. What makes them happy in their listening environment is their business. I realize some can't hear the differences that quality components make in the audio chain. The mods(when needed) that I have affected in my own(and others') equipment has, with few exceptions, very obviouly yielded a more faithful reproduction of live musicians, playing real instruments, in the original acoustic(given a well engineered recording). This is the goal of high-end audio and most of it's designers/manufacturers. The musician friends that I like to invite over to audition and judge my system have always commented on the "you are there" presentation. That doesn't make my own listening more enjoyable than it already is, but the stroking still feels good!
OOPS- My bad. The end of the sentence about the encyclopedia article should have read, "the goal of any critical electronic circuit is low noise AND stability."
Most people that have purchased the better power purifiers thought their systems were quiet before they introduced the new piece. The general description of the difference is, "a blacker background", I suppose for a lack of better terminology. The same way a good purifier feeding an HDTV will yield a sharper picture. My system was dead quiet(as far as audible noise) before I plugged it into my Audio Magic Stealth XXX. The powerline grunge that the piece removed allowed a greater focus to images and a broader, deeper sound stage. There are just some things that you're not aware of until they're gone. There have been tweeks/mods that I've tried that were just so much snake oil. But then there have been a lot more that really surprised me. Upgrading whatever passive components are in the signal path, and finding the right tubes have always yielded worthwhile benefits(mainly greater transparency). Actually- I've saved money by not having to replace my older Cary power amps, but simply replacing a few components with higher quality pieces. Happy listening!!
Eldartford- A question completely off the audio subject(referring to "flying through a nuclear blast"): I thought anything with Metal Oxide Semiconductors would get fried if anywhere near a thermonuclear detonation. Have they gotten around that somehow? If so: Is there a way around the effects of an EMP bomb yet?
That's funny: The old fashioned vacuum tubes(mil-spec from the 40's, TungSols and Sylvanias)work best in my amps too. Thanks and happy listening!