Entry level turntable for my son

Hello all, 
My 16 year old has the same audio sickness as me. He recently approached me about acquiring a turntable for his system. Any recommendations on the entry level stuff from Rega, project, music hall, etc? Should I stick with the newer stuff or look for an older model like a Planar 3 or a MMF-5? I still use my Linn LP 12,  but I hear the newer ones out there have some nice new features the older entry level stuff didn’t. I don’t think he will be looking to do any modifications in the near future, he just wants to spin some vinyl. 
Thanks in advance!
skipper320

Showing 5 responses by skipper320

Dad would love to pass own the Linn and move on, but the wife would like to express her disagreement! My son was talking to his grandfather ( from whom I acquired my audio sickness), and he told him to go for a Thorens TD 160 or a Rega Planar 25. Dad is a fan of vintage gear. He has an old Dual 1019 he’s willing to pass down. Is it worth it for the kid just to get things going? Dad is the original owner. It’s in minty condition but could probably use a new cartridge. Anything to watch out for on the old 1019? It seems like a good place to start him off with vinyl, and the best part, he’s willing to pass it down for free!
I also checked out the u-turn tables mentioned above. The price is right, but is the tonearm any good?
Great points Steve. What are your thoughts on the phono preamp they offer? Do you think it would be better to use an outboard phono pre amp or have them build it in?
He isn’t into the rap DJ thing. He has a rather nice system and wants to get into vinyl after we attended a record show 2 weeks ago. He has rather solid musical taste in my opinion. Listening to my system since he was born, he know he prefers vinyl to cd or streamed music off his iPad. I want to help him get into vinyl. I’m not worried about temper tantrums. He is very careful with his gear. I’m really leaning towards the Fluance or uturn stuff. They seem to be well built and a good value.