Entry level CDP

In the Audiogon classifieds are a Rega Planet, NAD C542 BEE, and a Musical Fidelity E624. If price means much, then the NAD must have the most use, followed by the Rega. Which one will give the best overall performance with rock, classical, and jazz? Which one will still be going strong years from now? Thanks
garn509

Showing 12 responses by garn509

Thanks to both of you. I'm not lookinbg for a an A/V unit. I have 2 audiophile retailers in my area. One sells Rega and NAD, the other sells Music Hall and Marantz. On a strict cash budget, I have to consider the security of a new unit warranty, and the ability of close p2p support. That said, the only second hand unit left in the mix is the Music Fidelity. The issue of formats is a good point.
To sum up: NAD, Music Hall, or Marantz? I heard that an old Planet wont play compressed formats, but am attracted by the top loading. FYI, I'm running a NAD C326BEE.
Mlauner-- Naim = $$$. Eldragon -- Off topic? Shakeydeal-- a better forum? Buconero -- I am looking for a single disc player.
Boiling it down ---As new units: NAD C515BEE, or NAD C545BEE, or Music Hall CD 25.2, or Marantz CD5003 for best bang for the buck, best overall music style flexiblity, best dynamic range performance, best sounstaging.
And is a used Musical Fidelity E624 better than any of the above?
LJ This goes to show that there is good and there is GOOD.
In my budget NAD IS above mass market. I guess I'll opt for the E624 when I'm ready and if it has not sold. Thanks
Actually 3 audiophile stores. Here they are --
1.Moon Audio, Holly springs, NC. www.moon-audio.com
2.Serious Hi Fi, Raleigh, NC. No website, works from house, Brit and Canadian stuff -- Nottingham, NAD, Naim, PSB, KEF, etc
2. Audio Advice, Raleigh, www.audioadvice.com. Has Rotel, but Rotel seems to have upriced without justification.
Only looking for single disc players, btw
Loomis-- I can't find any info on the Music Fidelity's CD format compatibility. MP3, MP4, and WAM is a must, without fussiness.
Seems like the others are shootin' themselves in the feet.
I can get the NAD in person
R a couple of moon audio sites. This one is a dealer in Holly Springs, NC. www.moon-audio.com
Swamp -- there are a couple of moon audio sites. This one is a shop in Holly Springs, NC. www.moon-audio.com