Empyrean Headphones/Sennheiser HDVD 800 + 'what DAC'?

I have a great setup in my sound room w/ tube amp, DAC and speakers but looking to set something up in another room that is a bit more portable.  I already have the headphones & headphone amp listed above but looking for the right DAC.  Would a Dragonfly Red or Cobalt be a good fit, or some other compact DAC?  Opinions/Advice??

labelman

Showing 4 responses by labelman

Thank you YYZ~.  I'd love to get the Benchmark but that plus the DAC adds a lot of cost.  I think i'll try the Matrix.  Anyone want to buy a Sennheiser HDVD 800??

The Sennheiser is an HDVD- it's only a headdphone amp- but a damn good one.  It drives my Meze Empyrean headphones.

I didn't think the HDVD had a DAC but it looks like (from looking online) that perhaps it does??  Anyone know for sure?  If so, then do I just hook it up to my Macbook and use Tidal or Roon for music streaming?

Portability is nice but not necessary- the setup will stay in my office or garage mostly.  A DAC that goes nicely with this would be good.  

Thanks guys.  I'm thinking I need to get a DAC/headphone amp that better matches the Empyrean headphones.  I see one suggestion above but 'new' the DAC is $2K.  Looking for headphone/amp/DAC (ideally all in one, ideally small) that is $2,500K or less all-in.  Thoughts?  Ideas?