Empire 4000 XL and 4000 D/III cartridge body differences question

Are there any differences between the 2 cartridge bodies? The reason I ask is that I have access to both a 4000 XL body and a good cond D/III stylus and wonder if the 2 would work well together. Apparently they do fit.

shawnwes
Post removed 
Post removed 
Dear shawnwes:  External body is the same and what you have to check is if the stylus bayonet shape fits the 4000XL female input.

But you have to listen it because the output level on both cartridges are different.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R. 
Thanks Raul,

I know the D/lll is 3mv. Do you happen to know the output of the XL? I couldn't find any specs on it.

Hi - this is an old thread, but perhaps some of you Empire experts can help me out.

Hi Empire experts. I have recently received an Empire 4000 that does not have any "d" or "x" suffix in its name. It just says "Empire 4000" on the cartridge body. (The body is a slightly dull gold color).

My guess is that it is either:

(a) A really early Empire 4000 from before they decided to produce three variants of the 4000 (e.g., the d/i, d/ii, and d/iii)

~or~

(b) A later (and perhaps cheaper) version of the 4000 that was produced more cheaply to sell to a bulk market or a reseller.

By the way, the stylus is seemingly aftermarket (no 'Empire' logo on the stylus guard), but seems to be a really nice tapered alloy cantilever nonetheless.

The cartridge does sound quite nice. I am just wondering if anyone has seen 4000's of this sort before.

Thanks all !
Steve