Emission Labs 300B vs Shuguang Black Treasure

Hi All,
I want to upgrade the 300B tubes on my Wavac EC-300B amp. At the moment I am still using the stock tubes which are a pair of standard Shuguang 300B-98. I did try out a Shuguang trasure tube some time back. It made for an over all richer sounding tones and slightly lower noise floor. However I am more intrigued by the emission Labs standard 300B solid plate tubes. They seem to be built better and claim to have lower distortion too. Can some one help me with the sonic signature of the Emission labs 300b vs Shuguang treasure ? I also thought of considering the Sophia Mesh or Carbon tubes but I am a bit skeptical about their reliability.
pani

Showing 6 responses by jetrexpro

I have an interest in this topic as well. Have been thinking of Emission labs for my next 300b tube purchase.

I do have Psvane and Sophia Mesh 300b's and they sound different from one another. The Sophia's create a more three dimentional room filling additctive sound stage and the Psvanes have a bit more control over my speakers creating a tighter more controlled low end. I have had no issues with Sophia Mesh. Since they are mesh they need to be biased conservatively around 60 to 65mA's. After experimenting with them at 70mA I found they sound best in my system at 60mA.
Pani, Make sure that your 300b filament transformer can handle the 1.5 amps that the EML 300bXLS draws. That is more more current draw than a standard 300b.
Pani, Make sure the 300b filament transformer in your amp can handle the current demands of the EML XLS. They draw 1.5 amps. The standard 300b draws 1.2amps
I am happy with both my Psvane and Sophia Mesh 300b but planning to get the EML300bXLS as a Christmas present for myself :) My Stancor 300b trannies are capable of a 3mA draw which is more than enough to handle the demands of the EML tube.
oops I wrote mA's but actually the EML 300BXLS draw 1.5 amps. My Stancor filament trannies are capable of a 3 amp draw. The standard 300b current draw is 1.2 amps. Anyone who uses the EML 300BXLS needs to make sure their filament transformers can handle 1.5 amps.
Charles 1, You are probably right and folks can drop them in with no problems and your experience bares this out. Perhaps the extra .3 amps is not that big a deal for most amplifiers. I am not an expert in electronics but to be safe one should consider consulting their amp builder to make sure the extra draw will be safe for their amp. A filament transformer failure would likely be a very expensive repair with a loss of the tube etc.