Early pressings v remastered

Am I the only one who believes that early (not necessarily first) pressings almost always sound better than recordings remastered from "the original master tapes" ?
gpgr4blu

Showing 2 responses by vinylmad814

I think it is hit and miss. I find alot of the problems with some of remasters especially the non-audiophile pressings of remasters,is that they tend to lack the quality that you would expect from a remaster. For example I purchased reamasters of PInk Floyd in the last year or so and have found the quality of the vinyl they have been pressed on very poor. Slight warps, noisy background noises, pops etc etc. On the other hand I have remasters that have been far better than the original for example many of the releases on the SPEAKERS CORNER label.(eg Joni Mitchell - Hissing of Summer Lawns) This particular label, I do consider to be an audiophile pressing. So I think it depends on the company that is reissuing the represses and who is actually doing the remastering. I have some cheaper 180G remasters released by a company called Rhino and have found them to be rather inconsistent. I have noticed troughs or small indentations on the surface that are quite audible. Early pressings if they are in top notch shape are great to have. Almost never warped, pressed with 180g to 200g vinyl and are comparable to a vintage wine.
Of course as Syntax stated, there is a cost factor involved here. If you happen to inherit a bunch of older pressings such as i have than you are lucky. Original Stereo releases from the 60's are hard to come by and the cost, wow....if in good playing condition you will be looking to spend easily over $100 for an original pressing. Especially old blues or Jazz recordings. I recently picked a copy of a 1965 stereo BLUE NOTE pressing of Herbie Hancock's "Empyrean Isles" for an even $100.00 in very good playing shape. To digreess a bit, this record was actually used by CBC radio in Vancouver. A vendor in town had purchased a huge CBC collection in the past year. Anyways the sound is very laid back and neutral compared to the brighter crisper sound of the 2 record 45/180 g which brings out greater detail. To many be a bit over bearing. And like what has been said over and over, what do you prefer?