Early digital recordings on vinyl vs. CD?

There are many late 70's and early 80's classical recordings that were recorded digitally and released on vinyl, and then subsequently on CD when the technology became available.
Is there any reason to avoid digital vinyl given that these were early digital recordings?
To put it another way, for these early digital recordings, is there any advantage to getting them on vinyl as opposed to sticking to CDs?

In collecting vinyl I have stuck to analogue recordings and avoided digital, but this means I have avoided some outstanding performances.

What are your experiences, and what do you think?
toronto416

Showing 2 responses by toronto416

Many thanks! This opens up a world of new wonders - Pinnock's Brandenbergs, Gilbert & Schiff playing the Well Tempered Klavier, Uchida's Mozart Sonatas, Brendel's Haydn sonatas etc...

There are a tremendous number of outstanding classical performances on record from the 1980's available on 'digital vinyl'. I will avoid them no longer!
I found a digitally recorded jazz LP on my shelf from 1988 on the Canadian Sackville label. Jim Galloway, Ralph Sutton, Milt Hinton & Gus Johnson playing 'A Tribute to Louis Armstrong'. It is a real gem musically, and sounds wonderful. I am encouraged by this!

I look forward to delving into baroque recordings from the early 80's. This is going to be fun!

I have put together what I think is an excellent system: Nottingham Space 294 TT, Transfiguration Phoenix cart, Luxman 509u integrated amp, and Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation speakers. Many thanks to John at My Kind of Music in Toronto, and to excellent advice from Audiogon as well.

I also have a Luxman D-06 cdp, but I have not used it much since my TT arrived in March. CDs have their place as so much became available on them in the post vinyl era, but it is wonderful to delve into that which did originally come out on vinyl.

And almost as important as a TT is my Keith Monks RCM. It makes 40 or 50 year old lps in decaying paper sleeves sound better than new, and removes the deep seated gunk - the effort is worth it, even with new vinyl.

We must all be crazy to put ourselves through all this fuss - but how does it differ from obsessing over gourmet food and fine wines? Well, good food and wine taste even better when vinyl is spinning...