EAR 834P - Sale or try and repair...

I have an EAR 834P and the volume is decreasing on the left channel. I opened the case and the tubes appear fine. However, there is some browning on the breadboard on one wire (coming from the toroidal power transformer), to the single phase bridge rectifier, and resistor (breadboard: P5, D3).

I have done some simple soldering (ex., DIY bottlehead amp) just not sure about diagnosis this issue.

• Does anyone have any ideas on a possible repair?

Otherwise, I plan to post it on the forum for sale. Just hate to take a loss on the price if it is a simple part replacement.

abp689

Showing 4 responses by theflattire

I would fix it or find someone to work on it.  Maybe change the resistor and rectifier and drop in a new set of tubes and see what you got.

IMO, worth fixing.

For reference, there's a used working black face EAR here locally going for $750.

@bigkidz 

Which Vcaps do you like?

Right now I'm using a mix of Miflex and Mundorf on my clone.

@abp689 

I have a EAR clone and I think it competes up to the 2k range.  It's been a while but I would say it's close to something like a Tavish Adagio, at least on the MM side (I run my clone with a SUT, as I did the Adagio).

I did compare the clone to a Darlington Labs MP-7 and the MP-7 was pretty damn close to the Adagio.

When my Modwright was back at mother ship for upgrades, I didn't notice any major drop off with the clone.  I heard the clone is pretty close to the real deal so I would expect one would need to go into at least the $2k range to do better.

I've been eyeballing that one for sale locally, but last thing I need is another phono stage!

If you send it out, do the upgrades or at least upgrade the caps.  If you are running a MC cart, maybe try it with a good SUT.

@abp689 

I have Hashimoto HM-7s and a James Audio SUT.  I also had some Ned Clayton built Cinemag 1254s and they were nice too.

If you google EAR upgrades you'll get a boat load.  Minimum I would do the caps.