EAR 834P - Sale or try and repair...

I have an EAR 834P and the volume is decreasing on the left channel. I opened the case and the tubes appear fine. However, there is some browning on the breadboard on one wire (coming from the toroidal power transformer), to the single phase bridge rectifier, and resistor (breadboard: P5, D3).

I have done some simple soldering (ex., DIY bottlehead amp) just not sure about diagnosis this issue.

• Does anyone have any ideas on a possible repair?

Otherwise, I plan to post it on the forum for sale. Just hate to take a loss on the price if it is a simple part replacement.

abp689

Showing 4 responses by abp689

Switched tubes around and having the same issue.

To czarivey's point, appears like it was a bad tube impacting (what appears) to be a resistor and rectifier.

I plan to order the two parts and will decide if I want to repair it or sell it to someone interested in modifying the unit. Seems like they sell for ~ $1250 used... not sure what a repair discount would be ($850?). 

FWIW: I really like the EAR834; extremely quite, very good spatial resolution and detail. I have had the unit for ~ 10 years and never felt the need to upgrade.

However, I would not mind a McIntosh preamp... so I guess I am at a crossroad?

Thank you for Mitch's email... I have been interested in some of his modifications, but figured he was no longer in the business.

Ah, $750 is a bit lower than I expected. If Mitch is able to repair and mod, this might be the best route

I will respond back once I hear more!

BTW elrod; what preamp did you replace for the EAR and are you happy with the transition?

I have enjoyed with the EAR for ~ 10 years, but am curious to try something new. Just not sure what I would have to jump up to to notice a solid improvement in performance (and at what cost). 

@bigkidz: looked up your website, really nice work! I didn't see any pricing for repairs, but if I go that route, I will send you a PM. I am kind of on the fence as I have wanted to do some of the upgrades myself for some time. But starting to get cold feet. I would like to add a couple items, just have not done enough research to know what would be a proper (and easy) modification on this one. 

@theflattire what SUT do you have? I have a Dynavector 10x on a VPI Classic (next year or so I plan to change out Dynavector)