Dynaudio Contour 30 vs Confidence C2 comparisons

Hey all, first time poster long time browser.

I currently own Dynaudio C1 platinum for the L/R fronts (midsized room), and I'm looking to get a bit fuller sound top to bottom from the larger floor standing models... ie the C2 or Contour 30. I have no means to audition either, but I know I absolutely love my C1s. Just interested in any opinions from people that have heard either/both of these models. I THINK I know what to expect with the C2, but with the contour line being remade and bumped up in price has me intrigued. I absolutely love the clean looks of the Contour 30, but I worry I'd be taking a step back from Confidence. I also have been hearing murmuring of an updated confidence line, which I'm sure (if indeed that is the case) will be priced even higher, way out of my budget.

ANY honest opinions (or facts for that matter) are welcomed and thanks in advance!
Jeff

scaf_007

Showing 12 responses by scaf_007

I run dual paradigm sub 15s, but i prefer to listen to the C1s (for music) without any sub at all, believe it or not. The current room (I will likely be moving sometime this year) has enough bass response where its not really an issue GENERALLY speaking. I'm just missing that last bit of oomph and that's where I'd like a "fuller" range speaker. I realize the C4 is an incredible speaker, but its just too big. Not to mention 121 lbs per speaker is a bit to lug around during experimenting :p. Enter the C2 and Contour 30. As they say on their website, midsize room - midsize speaker :) Just curious if anyone has any first hand experience with the Contour 30? I honestly have no possible way of auditioning any dynaudio products. I bought my original C1 platinums "blind" so to speak, and I was completely blown away by their amazing sound.
I agree with you though missioncoonery.. not sure when the line will be updated, but when it does there should be plenty to choose from at considerable savings. I'm in no rush, but it never hurts to get a bit of research in and get your ducks in a row! :)
Thanks for the reply!
Jeff
Yup, been very impressed with the C1s in what they CAN do! As far as really deep, visceral bass that you can feel, I'll just turn on my subs :D (I just prefer not to)... I hear what you're saying on the Contour 60s likely giving me the bass I desire though: but again, those are not small speakers by any stretch of the imagination. At 119 lbs each that's a lot of gravity to move around. They're also a bit above my pay grade at the moment, unless of course a new buyer doesn't want them anymore and is willing to take a big hit! If I could ask for your 2 cents on the contour s3.4 austinbob, how did you feel they performed in the lower register for a wide variety of music? Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated!
Jeff
W x D x H is roughly 25' x 16' x 8' with a large opening off to one side.. keep in mind this room is not the final room. Eventually this year I will be moving.

Main source is marantz sa11s3
Preamp marantz av8802a
Power amp anthem p2

Thanks for your input shingy! I’m guessing bass output on the 3.4 le would be very similar to the contour 30, but you can never be sure unless you’re able to compare directly.
Thanks for the great insight everybody, much appreciated!
shingy, some day I hope to have a dedicated 2 channel pre amp, but that will have to wait. (money and space constraints are the guilty party) The av8802a has a very nice clean sound to it, but doesn't have quite the all around "robust" body of a serious 2 channel pre. When it comes down to it, my final decision will mostly depend on price/value of any deal I might find. I'm certain I'd be thrilled with either the C2 or Contour 30, but I have a couple concerns about both, to be honest. I've read (not sure where) that the newer Contour line has a treble that has a slightly more 'crisp' sound to it compared to the current Confidence range. I already have tinnitus in both ears, so I'm not sure that would be the way for me to go. Having said that, they have a much more modest appearance, and I think they'd be that much easier to set up properly. As for the C2 treble, I think its safe to assume it would be incredible similar to my C1.. although I've heard people say the C2 treble is even smoother, while others have disagreed with that. I know the Contours also use the esotar2, but the crossovers are not the same. I hear what you're saying about the Confidence range being long in the tooth nitewulf. I'm curious to know what Dynaudio plan to do about this in the (hopefully near) future. It'll be exciting, but well above my budget I'm sure! And to your statement, jonmc138, I can attest to the C1 being a bit power hungry, and I have also bottomed them out ONCE! I was watching the beginning of the first Guardians of the Galaxy during the scene where Star Lord gets taken by the space ship as a young boy. I've learned my lesson after that, so now I take the time to MAKE SURE I HAVE MY CROSSOVERS SET PROPERLY LOL!
@shingy

One of the main reasons I started this thread is because I have an opportunity to grab a pair of C2's mkII but would require me to trade my C1s and I'm just not sure I want to do that.. I love them too much! lol
I have a pair of Paradigm S6 v3 in piano black that I need to unload before I can make any decisions anyhow. I just don't want to deal with shipping them so trying to sell them locally, which isn't the easiest thing to do in a small market area!
So being that this thread has bloomed into something more than it's title, what suggestions would anyone have for a dedicated 2 channel preamp to go with dynaudio confidence or the newer contour series? I'm not about to announce a TKO for my marantz av8802a as it's a great piece of gear. The analogue section was not an afterthought as they improved it considerably over past generations. I'll admit, though, a solid preamp has a HUGE part to play in the overall picture. What are the thoughts on using the current marantz pm 10 as an integrated 2 channel for music, then using it as a 2 channel amp for the front left/right (over an anthem p2) for movies and the like?
So recently I was able to sell off my paradigm signature s6 v3 and an svs sb13+ subwoofer for cold card cash. I want honest opinions and a no sales man approach. I still haven't heard a convincing argument of the confidence c2 vs contour 30. I already know how special the current confidence c1 is.. in fact, the guy that bought my paradigms was completely blown away how much presence and bass they had. I just want to know if anyone has compared the new contour series to the acclaimed (and rightfully so) confidence platinum line. I'm well aware that sooner or later a new confidence line will arrive. I just don't want to take a step back in terms of overall realism to a minor gain in bass.. 
Sincerely looking for anyone that has 1st hand experience. Thanks!

I still haven't been able to directly compare both lines, but I had made an inquiry about a contour 30 and the seller did say the confidence platinum line is the better line.. and followed that up by offering to order/sell me a pair of new confidence c2s for a considerably higher price than the used contour 30 :p
Take that as you will, but I am under the impression the older confidence line is still better than the new contours. I've no proof or first hand experience on that yet, but that is currently what I believe . 
I dunno about the silverline audio bolero supremes.. they look awfully similar to some old school sony ss speakers that actually were legit, I just don't know about the looks anymore. These days, speaker manufacturers can make a loudspeaker functional AND beautiful :)
I'm sure the bolero supremes sound amazing, I just don't think I could ever get used to the looks of them. To each his own, as they say!
Jmlm, would you care to delve into your thoughts on the kanta a bit more? Was it the kanta no. 2? I don't know much about focal other than they make use of beryllium tweeters since I've owned paradigm signature speakers with beryllium tweeters in the past. I think the kantas have a very unique look to them which strikes my eye in a good way lol
I haven't once, not ever heard of lack of bass complaint on the C4. But I agree, for me it would be too big and tall. I may have switched my focus to the upcoming confidence 30.. unless I get an absolute steal for a pair of c2.. and even those are taller than the newer confidence 30. Sigh.. If only my funds were bottomless lol