Dynaco Stereo 120

I was looking through the for sale pages of a website and came across the images of the insides of a Dynaco Stereo 120
https://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/2020/09/15/user_148995_large_b4f2d47a507010bc64bd6919d7fe4309.jpg

It was evident that a winding around the capacitor was done, does anyone know why?
Is it an electromagnet that has been wound, or simply to introduce inductance, is this an old lost technique?

I am curious, and figured someone in Agon might know?
128x128rixthetrick

Showing 4 responses by n2tubes

Hey  rixthetrick.

I am the builder of that particular amplifier. I do a lot of these, each one being slightly unique to itself. I currently have 2 units to start on after they clean up and then pass transformer tests. These sound ridiculously good, I do a lot to them, for that reason. I'm also a bit OCD and a "car guy" so looks are very important to me also. 

These sell for $599.95 plus shipping.

I'll share a correspondance I received yesterday from the buyer of one of these. He's had it for less than a week now:   

" A battle is ensuing with all my audio buddies because I basically slammed them for initially being dubious and skeptical of my getting the 120. I’ve tested tons of amps and you are 100% correct. This thing is a giant killer. It’s the best thing I’ve ever heard and I’m dead serious." 

He also owns 2 of my PAS tube preamps. You can see those on the facebook too.

Here's his comment on the PAS-M he recently purchased: " I can’t tell you how amazed I am. This preamp will get 1st prize in my review for sure. When you get a chance play a piece on YouTube by Bill Evans called “Danny Boy” at 1 minute into song for the remaining two minutes you will hear these little symbols shimmering like sparkles in the right channel. With the new preamp you made, this shimmer Comes through more clearly more defined more vibrantly than any other preamp I’ve ever heard. I was rolling hysterically  last night. You are the man!"

Here's a link to my facebook where you can find photos and other information on some of the past 120's and some other Dynaco/Dynakit gear I've done recently. -Kenny

Absolutely, when outfitted with quality caps and resistors these are quite impressive. Of course adding the new and increased capacitance helps tremendously and the regulated power supply is a must. The thing just performs to the amazement of all who listen. It will make a believer out of most any skeptic. Use of solid state or tube preamp seems not to bother it at all. I just got my website up going today so you might check that out too. https://funtasticvintronics.com/
I'm trying really hard to get away from ebay, they have just ruined a wonderful thing.
Amen - and thank you both. One little known thing about these. Several years following the introduction of the Stereo 120, which ultimately led to development of the Stereo 400, the Dynaco research lab had found that some modifications could be made which greatly improved the Stereo 120. It focused on TIP transistors. This modification greatly improves reliability under adverse load conditions and strengthens its resistance to internal parts failure with improved circuit protection. It does this without changing the amplifier's superb specifications or sonic character. After releasing this document and making the mod kit available, production of the 120 incorporating these changes was made and the new units all had this feature applied. So, if you have an older unit, or listened to one, it's not a good reference. It probably suffers from the issues so often talked about, poor sound, component failure etc. With the modern boards I use, which have all the shortcomings bred out of them, the use of premium capacitors all around and metal film resistors, coupled to a world class power supply and all that increased capacitance, the 120 becomes a "giant killer".  By the way, there's no place for a tantalum capacitor in one of these amps even though the build sheet calls for one. So what is the true secret of the 120, uncanny circuit design by a guy who simply had a knack and a mind of another kind. Hafler was a true audio genius among other things. These simply are a lot of bang for the buck when properly dressed, they're fun-fantastic-vintage-electronics. Thomas Edison said " If there's a way to do it better, find it".
I think I found it - Kenny Russell
https://funtasticvintronics.com/