DVD player for 200

I have a friend looking for an inexpensive DVD player. Has anyone compared the 200 dollar players?
perfectimage

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

Perfectimage:

Ditto for the inexpensive Pioneer DV-343 plus the Stan Warren Mod. But you may also want to check out the Toshiba SD-1700 (which you can get from Best Buy for $149.00), or the new Progressive Scan Toshiba SD-3750 (for $179.00, also at Best Buy). Let us know what you decide on.

Sdcampbell:

In reference to the Apex players you are talking about, where can the reviews about these players can be found at?? Because I am still inclined to look at those players as junk until I see reviews that say otherwise. I know that they can be found at your local Best Buy or Circuit City. In fact, I saw one at Best Buy this past weekend priced at $99.00. I know if I am paying a mint for a DVD Player, I'll be willing to take the risk on a high-end player that has little recognition if it has some sort of pedegree going for it (a.k.a. "Camelot"). But for just $200.00?? I think I would probably stick with Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony and Toshiba.

Terry:

I don't know how much truth there is to hold onto in reference as to how far the state-of-the-art in HDTV will have advanced in about two years. So I may have to reserve some judgement until about that time. But I think that my Pioneer Elite DV-37 will still be compatible with the newer HDTVs that may come out during that time. Now, I am also leaning very hard toward getting another DVD Player since the DV-37 is going to take up permanent residency in my audio system. Now, for the player that's going to replace my DV-37 in my home theater system??? I don't think I am going to spend that much on a player this time around. Because the way I look at it from my situation, I have just saved $1,000.00 by just experimenting with the DV-37 in my audio system a few weekends ago, and came away pleasantly surprised. Now, with the DV-37 being plugged into my audio system and with the current crop of budget DVD Players being as good as they are, I think that sub $200.00 player would do just fine for watching movies right now, and I don't think that I really need to spend any more than that anyway. When I get my HDTV in either late 2002 or in early 2003, I am going to put that set in my living room and just add a high-end home theater to my audio system then, in which then, the DV-37 will go back to being a DVD Player again. Saving $1,000.00 so that I can spend only $200.00??? I'll take that trade-off anytime.

--Charles--