Duelund CAST silver a $50,000 Upgrade?

Duelund CAST silver Capicitor upgrade 50K??
I've ordered some speakers and asked about upgrading to Deulund's silver foil CAST capacitor and inductor a listed option on my speaker. dc10audio got back to me with 50K $50,000.00 dollars extra over the copper that's already included in my speaker!!

How the hell is that even possible?? And if I could and I can't afford the extra would it be worth it? Am I going to see Jesus with the silver or what?

Steve
berkelyaudiogeek

Showing 3 responses by bhobba

Its not worth that much - forget about it.

The best speakers I have ever heard, some of which with a few extra tweaks like external crossovers and Bybees, cost $13.5k and they use 10 gauge air core inductors, have the cabinet lined with 1/4 inch copper and use Duelund Cast Copper capacitors. $50k for cast silver is silly and knowing guys that have a lot of knowledge about Duelund its debatable if the silver sounds better. Even with the tweaks the entire speaker is costing $15k.

Instead of doing that go around and hear different speakers - I hear good things about Rockport and you are likely to have money left over. Unfortunately the speakers I am getting are really an Australian thing and unless you are in Australia its unlikely you will get a chance to hear them - but in case you are or can get out to Australia they are Lenehan Audio ML2 Limited..

Thanks
Bill
Hi Berkelyaudiogeek

Don't worry about this time aligned first order crossover thing. I know a speaker maker who built two speakers identical in every way except one was first order time aligned and the other not. He could detect nothing - nada - from the exercise. He has however found that phase coherency through the crossover pass-band was important and uses a third order quasi crossover to do that.

My advice is not to worry about that sort of thing and judge a speaker by what you hear not how they do it.

Thanks
Bill
Germanboxers is spot on.

My advice is forget about them - get some other speakers or get it upgraded elsewhere.

There is only one way to treat that type - go elsewhere.

Thanks
Bill