Doge 7 tube DAC

Anyone here using or have heard the Doge 7 tube DAC? I'm very interested in it after watching the review of Jay (The next best thing studio).

I was set on getting the Denafrips Venus II but after viewing his review, i am now on the fence whether i should get the Doge 7 or the Venus II. Jay gave the Doge 7 "the best DAC award last month along with the Pontus" and yesterday on their yearly awards, he gave the "Best price no object - component award of the year" to Doge 7 tube DAC and take note, among its competitors were the Denafrips Pontus and Terminator+.

I'm really intrigued if i should get the Doge 7 due to this.

My system:

B&W 805D3

Primaluna EVO400 tube preamp (soon)

Primaluna EVO400 tube poweramp - 2x 70w (soon)

streamer - either lumin u1 mini or OpticalRendu (soon)

small bedroom setup (18 sqm/193 sqft)

music i listen to = jazz/classical/soft relaxing music. I don't listen to rock, electronic, loud, disco music.

joms

Showing 3 responses by ocean2059

I have been using Doge 7 for almost two years now and I highly recommend it. Very organic and musical with great imaging. While it's very detailed, it doesn't have any of digital harshness at all. I just watched Jay/NBTS and fully agreed with his assessment of the Doge 7. The stock Chinese tubes sound pretty good, very quiet and provide ample resolutions. I recently change the stock tubes with some of NOS Jan/Philips 12AT7 tubes and they improve sound quality noticeably to my liking.  

In general, Doge produces a range of great tube products. They are a bit unknown but their products have great quality and the values this DAC and other amplifiers are tremendous.  I also highly recommend their Doge 8 preamp, which I have been using for the past 8 years with great satisfactions.  

I use both Doges in my main living room:
Doge 7 DAC
Doge 8 Preamp
Manley Snapper Mono Amp
Magnepan 1.7i Speaker
Audio Envy cables 

I just noticed that Doge 7 is being back ordered, maybe due to high demand now. I am happy to see they finally got some recognitions they deserve. 
I, too, have the Doge 6 CD player for 6 year now. It's an excellent CD player. I like it better than my Oppo 205 player.

I recently compared Doge 6's analog output and digital output via Doge 7 DAC. The Doge 7 DAC has a bit more rich sound and extended high. To me, the tube analog section of Doge 7 DAC is excellent.
My own experience with Doge product is very positive. I have some email communications with their chief engineering and he is very polite and always try to answer questions with technical details. It's a small Chinese company with excellent design and engineering capability and run like a family business producing tube gear for over 15 years, I believe. The first Doge gear that I bought was a Doge 8 preamp exactly 10 year ago. It's been in my living room system ever since, playing about 3-4 hours per day. It never has had any problem and I changed tubes twice. 

The main problem for Doge is their poor web presence. Their website and produce pages are poorly written. So I don't suggest read too much into what they advertised for their product review. But, personally, I don't think they are paying Jay for his review.  

Cheers,