Does component video switching hurt picture?

Soon to be purchasing HT gear, including receiver and progressive scan dvd player. Does utilizing the component video switching feature in A/V receivers degrade the picture quality? Also, if sending progressive dvd signal, does the switching pass the signal properly?
djlackey5

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

Djlackey5:

I don't know if using the component video input/output jacks on the A/V Receiver will degrade the picture quality per se, as my receiver does not have these jacks on its rear panel. But to be absolutely sure about you getting the best possible picture quality, I would do the following:

(01). If your television has any component video inputs on its rear panel, then I would connect the component video outputs of the DVD Player directly to the component video inputs on the back of the TV.

AND

(02). I would connect either the coaxal, optical or composite audio outputs of the DVD Player to the corresponding jacks on the back of the receiver.

That way, if you do that, then that will give you the best of both worlds. The direct tv connection will give you the best picture, and the direct receiver connection will give you the best sound.

OH!!!!!!! Be sure to use the best cables you can afford while you're at it.

Good Luck........

--Charles--