Do you think you need a subwoofer?

Why almost any one needs subwoofers in their audio systems?

I talk with my audio friends about and each one give me different answers, from: I don't need it, to : I love that.

Some of you use subwoofers and many do in the speakers forum and everywhere.

The question is: why we need subwoofers ? or don't?

My experience tell me that this subwoofers subject is a critical point in the music/sound reproduction in home audio systems.

What do you think?
Ag insider logo xs@2xrauliruegas

Showing 11 responses by enginedr1960

With a Mini DSP 2x4 you can control up to 4 subs on line level. Food for thought . I am going to try it soon

I went from 2 subs to 4 this weekend . The distributed bass plan works like a charm the bass response is even around the room and the whole system just sounds right .

Hi Tim

My sub system is using 4 REL q201e subs . I have a set of custom Ohm Walsh 2.2000 speakers that are 13 " high that sit on top of the subs I run my front subs in stereo and use a DSPeaker Antimode 2.0 for LF room correction .The other subs in the rear of the room were hooked up to my HT pre pro LFE . After hearing a distributed bass system at a listening session I was hooked . I reconfigured my LF system . I added the two rear subs into the stereo mix keeping each side of the room on the same channel . too control the rear subs I am using a Mini DSP 2x4 beats crawling on your knees to make adjustments .Adding the rear subs evened out the bass response in the room and made a huge improvement in the system . I am still tweeking the adjustments. I should have tried this sooner a big change ! 

To clear up my system and crossover implementation I use a cap in the signal input to my VTL100 tube mono blocks to make a high pass @ 50 hrz . and use the Mini DSP 2x4 as the sub only crossover that I can adjust on the fly . The extra subs serve as active room treatment

Hi Noble I have my own placement restraints as i live in a Manhattan apt. I spent much time configuring my system for getting the best sound while meeting the dreaded WAF . To save floor space my Ohm Walsh 2.2000 speakers are in short cabinets that sit on top of the subs the height is set to put the tweeters at ear level . My speakers are now sealed and don't work well at 32 hertz . I installed signal line caps in my tube amps to cut them off @  50 hertz . I upgraded the amp for the two front subs with a Crown XLS2502 and set the crossover to 60 hetrz . My DSPeaker is paired with a custom DIY built Bent Audio auto former volume control . Yes I have and use tone controls in the digital domain it is transparent . As for the Mini DSP 2x4 I am using it to control the rear subs only it is very flexible .I have the two rear subs in the rear corners out of sight . I read the instructions for the Debra system and am trying the polarity invert . I  have been using DSP controlled stereo subs for about 3 years and after hearing a distributed bass system I was convinced . I am loving this arrangement . Thank you for the advice .    

Thanks  R I have been thinking that myself . I need to change the value of the amps signal line caps . I will give it a try .
Hi Tim great thing about this hobby is there are many ways to achieve great sound . I chose my components very carefully based on my preferences . I do my research and know how to read in between the lines . I am a engine builder by trade I take the same approach in building a audio system as a high performance engine . I apply the system to the room . The Bent passive Dave Slagle autoformer volume control is a great component . The volume control in most audio systems is the weak link . Do some web research on transformer and autoformer volume controls . I have a great sounding system at the lower volume range then all the others I have heard . Remember you cant fix it unless you know how it works !     

Hi Tim getting back to the best bass I have heard in my system . I have been using DSP controlled stereo bass for three years with great results . After hearing a dynamic system with 4 subs I was inspired to try it myself .My system is centered on a DSPeaker anitimode 2.0 the DSPeaker only has I analog input I paired it up with a DIY 4 input 2 output Bent audio TAP x passive autoformer volume control . the DSP is inserted in a in and out loop . For amps I am using a pair of modified VTL 100 mono blocks using 2 KT-120 tubes ea. puts out about 75 watts . My speakers are Ohm Walsh 2.2000 in custom cabinets that are placed on top of the REL Q201e subs . The power amps have caps in the signal lines to cut the L/F off @  50 hrz . the subs take over from there . I use a analog as well as a digital front end . And for movie night i have a Outlaw Pre Pro that is another source and of course more amps and speakers . My system is far from simple .The only simple thing is it can be turned on with one button that was so that my technically bankrupt wife could use it . I had to design this system around the limited space I have . After adding 2 more subs at the back of the room the bass response has evened out much more then with the stereo subs . Works like active room treatments. All I can say on good recording I give myself goose bumps and that's with both digital and analog . And Raul you may piss off some people but you make us think and that's not bad its good science .RC              

Hi Tim I use the VTL 100 amps for HT and 2 channel music . as for tube life I am using 2 KT120 tubes in each amp if they wear out so be it . There is plenty more of them available . I use the DSPeaker as a room correction for 500hrz and down for the main speaker and all 4 subs . This device works by using a microphone to measure the room response from the listening area then it runs a series of tones across the L/f range and applies a correction . I have frequency bump @  50hrz and the DSPeaker corrects that . The biggest improvement with adding the 2 extra subs is that the bass response all through out the room is much more even and the tonal quality is better. RC      
Hi Tim the problem I have is I am limited on space to play with optimum sub placement . I use my subs in stereo the front subs are set to 60hrz and the rears are set to 45hrz . The DSPeaker makes this arrangement work well . the DSP has a bypass mode so you can hear the difference the correction is doing . I have had the DSP for 3 years running 2 stereo subs with great success adding the rear subs improved the whole system . As for the DSP being transparent I have been tweeking both my digital and analog front ends and I can discern the changes . The DSPeaker and my custom Bent Audio / Dave Slagle AVC volume control pre amp makes low volume listening sublime .Tim if you want to understand the DSPeaker there is much info on it              
Hi Tim the low level dynamics are from the use of auto former or transformer volume control that's the key component . Check out Intact audio . No loudness contour . The one thing I have is a great digital front end