Do You Tell Others How Much You Have Invested in Your System?

Putting security and personal safety issues aside, do you share with others how much you have invested in your system?

I can see cases when we share with those who are generally interested what the "tariff" is for superb audio reproduction. Or, those who are already know how tall you have to be to ride the ride.

Can you think of any other reasons (accountants, lawyers, insurance, etc)? Afterall, when your spouses second cousin pulls in the driveway in their Minivan, bragging about fact that you have $10k invested in cables may not be the best way show common interests?

What say you?

128x128waytoomuchstuff

My main system cost about $70,000 with lots of gear (78s TT, DAT, R2R, CD mastering deck, multiple amps and pre-amps). My cables cost about $5,000 (7 power, 7 ICs, digital, speaker cable). My room cost $150,000 custom built for listening. (You can see my list on my profile). If someone just throws money at an audio system, it is highly unlikely to sound good. The equipment must have synergy and be appropriate for the room. It has to be set up correctly. Some basics have to be followed to extract great sound. Good sound can happen with lesser cost systems/simpler equipment such as an integrated amp, or self powered speakers, streamer or CD player. Analog and digital separates require much more thought. Proper placement in the room and on adequate stands for the equipment are essential for the best sound.

Spending $10,000 on cabling indicates someone can afford it but no indication that the buyer knows what to do with them. For a few $100s in cables, (even cheaper Monster 300m original ICs) and a Yamaha CR620 can provide very good sound on the cheap but not great sound. My non-audiophile friends have modest systems even if they are musicians. I’ve set up inexpensive systems for $500 and $1000 using good quality used equipment.

Only if they ask...

and as far as my pride goes, I'm most proud of how LITTLE I have spent on my modest secondary system, and it's what I use to "showcase" to anybody interested how great of sound they can get for not much money.  

as for my "higher end" system, I still pride myself on how great it sounds for the relatively small amount of money I spent on it to get the awesome level of performance it delivers... but I don't share the cost unless somebody asks and really seems interested in "going there."  

Most people would be MORE THAN happy with my modest secondary system; it sounds far better than anything they've ever had in their homes, most likely, if they don't already have a good system of their own, so occasionally I use it as a mentoring start point for those who express interest.

I saw someone saying, "it's a good deal if you think of the cost per note."  My setup is AV, so I justified the cost of a recent upgrade based on how many movies we watch and how much it costs to take a family to the movies.  And it honestly looks and sounds better at home anyway. 

My secondary system cost $5,000.  Legacy Signature IIIs, a highly modified Dynaco Stereo 70 (voltage regulated not ultralinear now), custom subminiature pre-amp, Kyocera 310x (upgraded caps), Grover Huffman Empress cabling and a Synergistic Research Blue power outlet.  Great sound, fills 2,500' LR, DR, BK, Kitchen and FR.  

I will, but only if asked, and always prefaced with, "... you know ... there are people in this hobby who will spend $25,000.00 on one power cord, so ..." Then my costs don't sound too outrageous.