Do You Remember Your First CD Player?

I had owned the first of the first. I purchased the unit in 1982. It was a Sony CDP 101. It was the most obnoxious, raspy, annoying, piercing, grading, non-musical component I had ever heard.

Also, at the time, the complete CD library that was available consisted of about 15 CDs.

Now? I listen to my newest CD rig more than I listen to my turntable. My, how times have changed.

What was your first CD player and when did you purchase it?
128x128buscis2

Showing 1 response by jc2000

I got my first CD player many, many years ago as part of (shudder!) a Fisher rack system. It was a changer that used a little tray (each which had an eject button) for each CD. I got a CD a few days later. I never liked this CD player. Either the player or the CD I had was bright, and needed the tone controls. In short order, I drifted away for varous reasons. I completely lost interest when I heard my first good system--based around a turntable. That, and the low cost of used records, made me decide to forget about CD.

I stayed record based for many years. Finally, in 2001, I decided to get a CD player (an old Rotel) so I could get CDs from the library. I have to say that, overall, if I had to choose one and only one source, it would still be the LP. But, I care more about what's on the recording than the format, and CD has come a long ways--a good CD can sound decent even on my antique Rotel.