Do You Play Or Save Your Best Cartridges

I suspect I am like many here, I have a small collection of cartridges. Until recently I would keep a casual playing cartridge set up and I would save my "good" cartridges for evening listening sessions where I am focusing on listening to music at the listening chair. I always had a casual cartridge mounted on an arm, maybe an Audio Technica OC9 III or something along those lines. These days its either an Ortofon MC3000 II or MC5000. 

Earlier this year I finally decided to use the DAC in my Trinov pre amp, and this involved getting a subscription to Roon, and hardwiring the computer and preamp to the router with CAT 6 ethernet cable. The sound is remarkably good, to the point where this can easily be my casual listening format. 

I almost wonder if its necessary to have a casual cartridge. Or should I just play my best ones as often as I want and bite the bullet and know I am getting a new diamond fitted every few years. 

Anyone else go through this kind of decision process?

neonknight

If one wants to preserve the longevity of the use of the original, because a direct replacement is not available as a easily acquired New Model or the Producer does not overhaul the Cart' to Original Spec', then the idea of limited usage will have a appeal.

Lyra, during posts on this forum, have made it known, they have certain Cart's offered, that will always be overhauled to Original Build Spec'

If a Cart' is overhauled to an 'equivalent model', with a similar performance, either carried out by the OEM or a Third Party Service, and the Cart' user has no concerns for this variant of the Original Spec'.

The Cart' should not be met with any concern for being used regularly, with the  knowing it can be continually used as a result of a overhaul when required.

This is a good method to incrementally reduce the cost per replay for a Purchased Cart' over a period of time, i.e, a Cart' retailing at $2500, is approx' £2.50 per replay based on a 1000 hours usage life. A full overhaul at approx' $500, will produce a Cart' offering 2000 hours usage at $3000, equating to approx' $1.50 per replay. Carry out the same activity on a second occasion and the Cart' cost per replay is now down to budget Cart' territory, where a Cart' from this price range may be discarded after it usage life has expired.    

It is common to see reports of 1500 - 2000 hours usage life in a Cart', if Cart's known for this longevity are considered, the above equation becomes even more attractive, if a Cart's cost is a concerning factor and deters a buyer from purchasing.  

Pardon the analogy but it’s a bit like saying “I’m never going to sleep with the Mrs to keep her nice & tight for the next guy!”

I don't see the economic or sonic logic of having multiples of any hi-fi component.

Years ago, I was driving from Boston to Hackensack and back a few times a month to see my wife that was doing her residency in NJ. A good friend of mine suggested that I should rent a car for the trips to keep the miles down on my car. I explained to him, the point of having a great car is to use and enjoy it, not save it for the next guy..That car, which I still own, made the trips faster and infinitely enjoyable than any car that I could rent, I have one cartridge and I love it, I have very limited opportunities to enjoy music each week, so why would I not enjoy it to it's fullest.