do you have a sperate audio and HT system?

Hello all.

I was wondering how many people have two seperate systems...one being set-up for two channel audio listening...and one for HT viewing/listening.

Myself...I neither have the money nor the room for two seperate systems...so I take advantage of what I got. My audio pre-amp has a HT-ByPass switch which I use...this way I can use the HT reciever when watching a movie...and when it's 2 channel time...well...then I hit the by-pass switch and only have my 2 channel components at work. For me this is a solution that seems to work...sure, I know it's a compromise...but one I'm willing to live with.

Do you have seperate systems? or integrated? or...if you have integrated...do you hope to, someday, go with two seperate systems? any other thoughts? comments?

thanks all...take care.....

.....enjoy the music!

click here to see my system
gonefishin
I've owned a two channel system of one kind or another for a long time. I'm fortunate that I have enough room to be able to maintain two separate systems. Home theater for me is entertainment and it's fun to enjoy surround sound with a well filmed movie on a big screen RPTV. HOWEVER, real pleasure for me is a well recorded piece of music reproduced on an outstanding two channel setup. There may be some day that I'll have to combine the two, but until then nothing touches late night listening in a darkened room with the tubes glowing listening to an old favorite.
I separate my HT from my high-performance, audio-only systems. I feel that there's no place for my RPTV between my speakers and it seems to me that there is a bass EQ incompatibility (not to mention upper midrange) between the audio and video formats. Since I don't want to compromise my imaging or keep adjusting my system EQ back and forth for DVD or CD, my solution is to optimize each type of system for its intended purpose.

I guess I could set an integrated system up to sound acceptable with either format, but I'd definitely consider it a rather large compromise. People have done it and even fooled themselves into thinking it's okay, but for my own requirements, I need to keep them separate. Period. I hope that's clear!
I'm still a stereo guy. I did play with putting a T.V. between my speakers a few months ago. Borrowed a mid-price Dolby rec and tried a few movies. It was fun for sure, and actually sounded better to me than a lot of HTs I've heard. The TV screen hurt the stereo imaging however so I took it out. Someday I plan on doing a real HT, it will likely be separate because of the screen issue as much as anything.
All valid points...I do understand my system is compromised...largely due to the room...but the focus of my system is 2 channel...and the HT just sorta follows along. I can't wait to get my edgarhorns done (one of these days)...I have heard them and they do sound great with music...and music is my only focus with these speakers...but I am curious how they will sound with HT...as they'll be pulling double duty. I suspect it will be very hard to blend these in with the rest of the speakers...I guess I'll just have to order me some more round Edgar tractrix horns (after my wallet recovers)

take care all>>>>>>>>