Do the Jeff Rowland 201 amplifiers have warmth?

My system includes the Meridian 508.24 CD player, the Jeff Rowland Concentra I Integrated amplifier and the ProAc 2.5 speakers.

Do the new Jeff Rowland 201 amplifiers have the same warmth and character as the new JRDG 201? In other words, do the new Rowland 201 amps have the characteristic "warm" sound of the older amps? I am very satisfied with my Concentra but I am just asking. I also expect to look at the new Concerto Integrated amplifier. JRDG told me it is likely going to be released in late May/early June, depending on the arrival dates of a few parts. As soon as the Concerto amp is released, I will listen to both unit. I am just looking for other opinions on the 201. thanks..
hgeifman

Showing 1 response by dcstep

I've owned the Continuum 500 integrated (with phono cards) for two-weeks now. It's like two 501s, a Capri and two PC-1 Power Correction Modules in one gorgeous box. Looks like a Concerto integrated that's 1.5" taller and with a curved faceplate. I've also listened to the 102, 201s, 501s and 312s, driving various speakers, mostly Vienna Acoustic, but also DALIs. (I own VA Beethoven Baby Grands).

This is an incredible amplifier, but I wouldn't advise it to anyone seeking a "warm" sound. Here are some adjectives that I'd use:

Absolutely neutral
Transparent
Incredibly quiet
Exceedingly dynamic
Stress free
Gloriously beautiful
Built like a tank
Demands excellent sources
Warm, NOT
Cool, NOT
Accurate, YES

The Continuum is available right now. Soundings in Denver has a demo unit in their big room. Strangely, they're selling like Wonder Bread in Asia already. Unfortunately, Jeff hasn't had time to update his site.

Oh, as I've listened to the 501s, 201s and 312, none of them struck me as "warm." When I hear an amp that free of stress and effortless in sound productions I think "sweet", not "warm." Maybe someone here that's owned both generations can comment better.

Dave