Do NOT Blow Your Entire Budget on Two Channel Audio

Yes, two channel audio is here, and is not going away. However, object based audio is delightful, widely available on Tidal and Apple Music, and should be in the listening room of every music lover on the planet, not just "audiophiles. If you plan to be a music fan a year from now start building your object based audio system today. You will need:

1) A receiver/processor capable of Dolby Atmos.

2) A subscription to Tidal or Apple music.

3) A Firestick, ATV, or Nvidia Shield.

4) A minimum of 7 timber matched speakers and a subwoofer.

Once you experienced stereo would you ever go back to only mono? No, you would build a system capable of either mono or stereo. Now that object based audio has arrived do the same thing. Build a system capable of mono, stereo, AND object based audio. When Elton John heard Rocket Man in an object based format for the first time why did he demand to convert his entire catalog to Atmos? If you don’t know, then you need to go listen to Rocket Man in a good Atmos setup ASAP.

So, take your budget, DIVERSIFY, and get a good Atmos capable receiver or processor. Object based audio is NOT last decades surround sound or home theater. It is for MUSIC first, if you need a recommendation on how to allocate your budget feel free to post a question. Most importantly, you don’t NEED two systems, one for music and one for movies. A good object based audio system can play two channel music just fine. A two channel system on the other hand can’t play object based audio without a proper processor or receiver.

Greg Penny talks mixing Rocket Man in Atmos.

https://youtu.be/ggzfcUKDqdo?feature=shared

kota1

I stream on my PC as I flat won't put up with UIs based on a phone, so that makes internal streamers and even boxes irrelevant to me.  Old guy who makes, get this novel use, PHONE CALLS from my phone.   Yes, we are a dying breed. 

i am a dinausaurs too... I dont use phone for movies, music, and texting or for any computer use...

I like phone for calls necessities ONLY..

I own a old flap phone because it is smaller and indestructible from 15 years ago...

Seeing people on phone all around me revulse me...

I come from a world where you were speaking to people around you in priority.,..

The most advanced civilization are way over technology... It is a threshold to pass after autodestruction tentation or attempts... 😊

To stay in this thread matter boundaries "spectacular" is not "musical"... The way we acoustically recorded classical music , be it Indian raga or Beethoven symphonies, has nothing to do with "spectacular" effects...It is supposed to be musical...

3/d acoustic is not surround object based audio... We can conciliate the two but the aim is different ...It is why i stay in 3/D stereo...

I stream on my PC as I flat won’t put up with UIs based on a phone, so that makes internal streamers and even boxes irrelevant to me. Old guy who makes, get this novel use, PHONE CALLS from my phone. Yes, we are a dying breed.

As far as phones go that is the way the majority of people consume music today, using bluetooth ear buds. I replaced my phone with a very nice DAP from Onkyo, the DP-X1 and it sounds great, is android based so I can use it to control my system and use the play-fi app for streaming. One DAP to rule them all:

Onkyo DP-X1 Digital Audio Player Review » The Gadget Flow

@invalid 

re " When you listen to live music, the musicians are in front of you, not all around you. Sounds like a gatekeeping money grab to me."

That is just a practical limitation of delivering live music to an audience.

But why do we have to be limited to that when Atmos can put us sitting in the midst of a String quartet. 

Not a gimmick, a paradigm shift !

You are right about 3-D holography being more stupendous than stereo...But using based objects audio as atmos is very different than using BACCH filters...

I will stay with 2 speakers and this is why i favored the most natural approach by BACCH filters... way less costlier too...And natural because by mathematical acoustic priciple there is no timbre degradation when playing recorded original acoustic of any stereo albums through our stereo system with the BACCH ...

3-D acoustic dont need many speakers and any other DSP than BACCH filters...

@invalid

re " When you listen to live music, the musicians are in front of you, not all around you. Sounds like a gatekeeping money grab to me."

That is just a practical limitation of delivering live music to an audience.

But why do we have to be limited to that when Atmos can put us sitting in the midst of a String quartet.

Not a gimmick, a paradigm shift !