Do NOT Blow Your Entire Budget on Two Channel Audio

Yes, two channel audio is here, and is not going away. However, object based audio is delightful, widely available on Tidal and Apple Music, and should be in the listening room of every music lover on the planet, not just "audiophiles. If you plan to be a music fan a year from now start building your object based audio system today. You will need:

1) A receiver/processor capable of Dolby Atmos.

2) A subscription to Tidal or Apple music.

3) A Firestick, ATV, or Nvidia Shield.

4) A minimum of 7 timber matched speakers and a subwoofer.

Once you experienced stereo would you ever go back to only mono? No, you would build a system capable of either mono or stereo. Now that object based audio has arrived do the same thing. Build a system capable of mono, stereo, AND object based audio. When Elton John heard Rocket Man in an object based format for the first time why did he demand to convert his entire catalog to Atmos? If you don’t know, then you need to go listen to Rocket Man in a good Atmos setup ASAP.

So, take your budget, DIVERSIFY, and get a good Atmos capable receiver or processor. Object based audio is NOT last decades surround sound or home theater. It is for MUSIC first, if you need a recommendation on how to allocate your budget feel free to post a question. Most importantly, you don’t NEED two systems, one for music and one for movies. A good object based audio system can play two channel music just fine. A two channel system on the other hand can’t play object based audio without a proper processor or receiver.

Greg Penny talks mixing Rocket Man in Atmos.

https://youtu.be/ggzfcUKDqdo?feature=shared

kota1

Coherence. I like my speakers to all sound pretty much the same. That’s not hard with 7.1, but it sure is with atmos. Ever seen a squadron of Quad ESL's hanging 2’ from the ceiling?

@terry9 

Coherence. I like my speakers to all sound pretty much the same.

Great point, my Paradigm active speakers are heavy and I was able to mount the front height channels on tall stands and the rear height channels on some heavy duty wall mounts. But the VOG channel above the MLP was a problem. I called Paradigm and cutting holes in my ceiling was a non starter. They recommended the Cinema 100's as they were small and used the same type of tweeters as my other speakers. You can see the end result in the pics of my system.

No.  Not for me.

I've had a decent Atmos-capable 9.2.2 Onkyo HT receiver for a few years and I still run 5.1

I have a smaller "media room" or family room as it used to be called (14' x 28').  I have no idea where I would place additional speakers and I'm more than happy with what I have.

FWIW - I don't have any plans to "upgrade" my modest dedicated 2-channel setup, either.

@fittebd 

Wow!!! Stunning, love the room treatments, functional AND aesthetically pleasing. The seating looks great and those BHK amps must sound great, another member here had some maintenance issues.

@donavabdear , how are your BHK's doing? You need to check out @fittebd room, seems like you guys have a similar taste.