Do Mono Block amps provide better sound ??

My question: do monoblock amps, that is, one amp per speaker, provide better sound than one box stereo amp?? I have read that a pair of mono amps provide the best stereo separation, imaging, soundstage depth.... Besides, taking up more floor space or rack space, and the necessity running a longer interconnect if each amp is behind the speaker, is it really worth it?? Thank you Jim
sunnyjim
I suspect that part of the answer lies in the consideration of the amount of power available to provide transient dynamic range and also damping to control the speaker excursion to avoid spurious distortion. The separate power supply in each monoblock will have more current available on demand than a power amp sharing a common supply.
Also, assuming non-parallel cable runs near source components and /or good shielding properties in the cables used, crosstalk between adjacent channels is a non-issue when using the monoblocks.
I took the plunge several months ago and upgraded to the Parasound Halo JC-1 mono amps with the matching Parasound Halo JC-2 preamp. It took my system to a whole new level. If you go mono you will never go back- you will be spoiled forever. There is a reason that every amp manufacturer builds monos for their premier no holds barred designs. Before I took that huge jump in price I bought the very affordably priced Odessy Karatago mono amps at first and was so pleased with the result- that I pulled the trigger and went all in for the Parasond Halo's.
I have had both and it is really a case by case decision. To me the main advantage of monoblocks is that they can weigh considerably less than the two on the same chassis. But having them both on the same chassis simplifies grounding and connection problems; Martin Colloms gives this as the reason he usually prefers stereo over monoblocks. Really it depends more on the amp; right now I am using Meridian 605s, which are mono; CJ 350, which is stereo; and Musical Fidelity, which is stereo with a separate power supply. All are good but different.
My cdp is configured in two boxes, ie, separate power supply. My preamp as well, has an out-board power supply. I choose from 300b or 45 SET amplifiers. Both in a mono-block form. Mono block amplifiers are more expensive to build/buy. If you are adding nice PC's, now you need two. Oh, my speakers are also in a dual box set-up. I hope this helps :)