Do I need speakers upgrade?

I am considering to ugrade my current speakers Proac Studio 140MK2 that will work well in a relatively small listening room. My setup is :
Amp: Mcintosh MC 152
Pre/DAC: Mcintosh D 100
Cables: Tellurium Q, Wireworld, QED & Audioqest .
CD transport : Cambridge Audio CXC .

Room Dimensions:10 ’ W x 13’ L x 9’ H.

The Proac Response D48R is in my first priority .

Second priority : Monitor Audio PL200 II or PSB Imagine t3.

Currently I am very happy with my setup detailed ,neutral and punchy but I feel that my amplification can do much more but I am afraid that my room dimensions is not enough for the speakers I mentioned above for upgrade ? and if do will it be a big step up from my current Proac’s ? and last question what is the best speakers option for me ?

itzhak1969

Showing 8 responses by itzhak1969

I sit  9' far from the speakers and the space between them is about 6.5'.stand-mounted speakers is not an option for me I don't like them it's more easy for them to "disappear " in space but always find them restrain and laidback compare to floor speakers .
Don't get me wrong I am very statisfy with my setup and there is nothing wrong with it however I think I am ready for higher step up
for my system this is why I am considering speakers upgrade one of the 3 options I mentioned .
Thanks jperry !
Everyone worn me that the Proac 140MK2 needs more space than mine but I ignored them and it turned up to be just fine. Do you think that that the Mcintosh MC 152 is enough for the D48R ?
Hi bigkidz

When you say my front end is the weakest link you mean that my current speakers are the weakest link in my set up ?

I have heard the Studio 148 and didn’t like it at all found it aggressive , rough and not enough agile compare to mine 140MK2,
Unfortunately I can’t audition the D48R in my country managed only to listen to the D20 which I liked very much but the bottom end was clearly missing ...the D48R seems like the ideal upgrade for me despite its very high cost .
Hi gnostalgic

The D30 is a very good speaker but I do need the extra driver of the D48R to maintain  the 2.5 way I have in my 140MK2 , going to 2 way of the D30 is not what I am looking for.

I do agree with you that the Proac have more engaging and exciting sound than the MA .
Maybe you right the 148 were new just arrived to my dealer and have not been broke in yet ,and now I remember that it took me more than half year for my 140MK2 to opened up to perform at their best.
As advised earlier there is nothing wrong with my current setup I just fill that my amplification can do much more than the Proac 140MK2 , The D48R seems like a big step up for my system .