Do Dealers think it is sinful..........

..... to give a customer a break on the price of high end audio equipment? is there something ethically wrong with this? why is it that i can negotiate down the price of a car or real estate many thousands of dollars, but i cant even get a discount on something the dealer (1) doesnt stock, (2) will not let you bring home for a day. i feel that when you are spending big $, like 8k + on a sale there should be some give and take. what do you think?
avnut
Enough with the talking and show me the discount. Those who have cited they were able to receive discounts please list names of your sales man/woman and the store which offered it to you. I am possitive these dealers won't mind since it's more potential business for them, especially, since they are earning less margin (from the price breaks)and they can make it up in the volume they'll potentially be getting from us. Let me be the first. Josh as San Francisco Stereos (Mountain View Location) will be able to get you 6% across the board just like what he did for me. I know it's not much, but it's not bad considering how all the other hi end dealers around here have us by the balls with their "MSRP" bullshit. Cheers
What do you guys think about forming our own network to protest against dealers pricing fixing? I say we have a big enough to know some one (or know some one who knows some one ...and etc.) that can get hifi products at discounts. We would simply extend this discounts to our elite members who are all binded by a common mission statement: To promote hifi products while spending as little as possible. Sounds good to you guys? I am not say it's can be easily done, but can you imagine if this idea takes off? I am not in this audio hobby to make a buck and I am sure some of you feel the same way. Let me know what you think? Here's a teaser..one of my good gal pal designs cables for a cable company just right outside of San Francisco. Her company is contracted by Cardas to produce cables for them. Get the hint guys?
AVNUT,i no longer surport any of my dealer,s in my area,the lack of honesty and misinformation that seems to fill the showroom floors of these so called hi-end experts is becoming a standard format for selling this expensive equipment,I purchase all my equipment on the used market and the 40 to 60% that i save not buying from a dealer, I'll use in the future for my kids college expense,PERIOD.
3chihuahuas: Send me your "want list" and I'll see if I can get you a discount. I can absolutely assure you that, should any of your goodies be available where I shop, you'll get way more than 6% off. In fact, the 6% you get from your "salesman" is pathetic, even embarassing. It wouldn't even cover sales tax where I live. BTW, I am not an audio dealer. If you email me your "wants," you should be able to afford to buy with credit card or cash immediately. Otherwise, please don't bother. rosebud_2884@hotmail.com.
Jtinn, Echo Hifi is indeed the used equip great store in Portland that I deal with regularly. Great people with great service. Go Kurt & Jim !