dissapointed - new LS50w's vs old PioneerFS52's/Luxman R113 - so far Kef's not so great?

windows pc system,
listened an hour thus far, the Kef's are sitting on top of the Pioneers, straddling a computer desk, at the moment Kef's are usb connected and the luxman feeds into the pc via 3.5mm so I can kind of a/b
I plan on getting iso acoustic pucks soon

gotta say quite underwhelmed thus far, maybe a touch more clarity and imaging from kefs, slightly crisper highs
bass is not really close much better on the pioneers

I've played around with the app just a bit, guessing the kefs need break in also?
getting swan m300's next but not before I'm sure I've given the kefs a thorough workout over a few hundred hours
thoughts/advice?

audiocanada

Showing 1 response by alchemyman

Although not my cup of tea, there is nothing wrong with the LS50W other than the apps. The bass is deep and full and they offer quasi-room placement compensation. Given the description:

the Kef’s are sitting on top of the Pioneers, straddling a computer desk,

it’s no wonder they don’t sound good, especially the bass. I’ve owned the passives for three years. They want to be affixed to the stand’s plate and ideally a very heavy stand (mine are filled with dried sand). How else are you going to get the most out of a small speaker if it’s moving around? Without question, the passives need a sub. The Ws not so much. I’ve heard them many times and demoed them extensively in multiple size rooms. As mentioned by others they need a bit of time.