DISCUSSION: "It only comes out at night". Does anyone else have this experience!?

In my listening experience, whatever system you have, whatever components, whatever the material, medium, one thing always seems to remain constant. It ALWAYS sounds better in the deep and still of the night!!!

Is it because night time is generally quieter? Is it because the world of electronics is then shielded from the SUN? Is it because there is less demand on the electrical service?

Whatever it is, there is one thing I know for sure, music sounds better late into the night!

kmckenn

Apropos the OP's original query, ask yourself, no matter what time of day it might be when you sit down with your system to listen to something new/old/borrowed/blue; Do you find yourself listening with your eyes closed ... ?? Reading the preceding made me realise this is with the majority of people the default "listening" mode. Your 'wetware' is told to concentrate on one sense and automatically (temporarily) attenuates others, especially sight.

Listening in a darkened room or at night just helps this process. You're probably still sitting there at night, listening, with your eyes closed.

@gumbedamit  It was interesting hearing him read the question. Having not seen that, it come pretty close to the opening post & topic.

Forgive me if I have not read all the amusing (I do use that term loosely) comments about why a system comes out at night, so if I hit upon an answer that has already been posted but I did not see one. I know for me I like it dark as a lot of the responders said. That means you lower the blinds or close the drapes, thereby eliminating the biggest sound distorting source in the room those windows. The second reason is metaphysical you intentionally have eliminated all other stimuli (phone computer) {or at least I hope you do} with the sole goal of listening to music and nothing else therefore your mind can is working at full capacity to hear the music and nothing else! I know that sounds crazy because we're not accomplishing anything, but the music sure sounds better!

As my time is mostly occupied with other things during the day, most of my listening, serious or casual, is late at night.

Aside from a cleaner electrical grid, without the clutter of the usual cacophony of daytime noise, subtle sounds become more vivid.

During the day, I have to strain to hear the ticking of any of our clocks. Setting on my audio sofa, at night (If I listen for) I can clearly hear the distinct and unique ticking of nearly every clock in the house or the click clack of the dogs nails as he walks across the floor. When the music goes on those sounds disappear and I am pulled into the performance and become aware of the many subtle nuances of instruments and vocals, that the quiet and calm of the night allows me to appreciate.....Jim