Directional speaker wires, what and why.

I've been aware for a long time that some speaker cables are designated as "directional". To a limited extent I can understand the rational behind choices based on wire size and construction, biwiring, etc. but don't understand how any conductor can have directional characteristics even in a DC circuit. I'm not denying the possibility but can someone please clarify this for me?

The only reason this comes up is that some time ago, I changed from spades to locking bananas on my wires. It was just yesterday that I noticed that my cables have arrows printed on them indicating, I suppose, that they should be hooked up with the arrows pointing toward the speakers from the amp. The cables in question, btw, are Straightwire Octave 2's.

I've experimented with speaker wires in an attempt to optimize my system but have never been able to discern much, if any, difference between them. That being the case, though, I now don't know whether these have been situated incorrectly since about 2004 when I bought them with my Martin Logan Odyssey speakers.

How can there be a directional character to a conductor and how does that affect sound?
128x128broadstone
Even though wires operate "AC" the actual audio signal, I.e., the electromagnetic wave, is not alternating and flows in one direction only - in the direction toward the speakers. Thus, since the conductor is not physically symmetrical, it will sound different one direction vs the other direction. It's not brain surgery.
The speakers are attempting to replicate the waveform of the audio signal. The in and out excursions of the speaker diaphragms are controlled by the amplifier. If the speaker cables are reversed the audio waveform is inverted. Thus it sounds like someone is sucking on a trumpet instead of blowing it. Has nothing to do with wire directionality. The audio signal coming down the speaker cables is an electromagnetic wave.
if you really believe cables sound different depending on which way they are hooked up you are beyond help. geesus lol
if you really believe cables sound different depending on which way they are hooked up you are beyond help. geesus lol
03-22-14: Drusstheaxe
Drusstheaxe,

LOL, you really need to get out more often.
I can't believe folks think speaker cables will sound the same when reversed after they have already been burned-in in one direction. You must be kidding?

To not hear the difference means your ears are bad, you don't care, or your system is not at all resolving....or perhaps you need an ear cleaning.

Come-on this is audio truths 101 stuff that can be experienced or learned very quickly.