Directional interconnect cables

I see several big-name interconnect vendors mark directional arrows on the outer jacket of the cables.

How is it that a wire can be directional? It's a simple electrical conductor, how is it possible for it to be directional, to sound "better" when connected in one direction vs. the other? This does not make sense to me, perhaps someone here can explain how this can possibly be so...
lupinthe3rd

Showing 7 responses by carl109

Lupinthe3rd, I think the bottom line is to check the instructions that came with the cable or check with the manufacturer. It's quite possible different brands will have the arrows pointing in opposite directions.
This has been discussed in previous threads. Cheaper cables use the shield as a conductor, whereas better cables use two internal conductors (+ and -) with a separate shield. In directional cables this shield is only connected (earthed) at one end, hence the arrow.

I'll leave the more technically-savvy guys to say whether this has an impact on sound quality.
Showing my ignorance here, but if analog audio signals are AC, how is there any directionality at all apart from shielding ground?
Musicnoise, could you please change your username to "breath of fresh air"; everytime one of these threads gets severely off track, I always look for a dash of common sense and a dose of scientific reality from you!
Redkiwi, you might find the theorising pointless, but so is making completely false statements like "A true scientist realises nothing is ever proven".

Science can and does prove things by postulating theories, and then repeatedly testing and measuring to try to disprove the theory. If the tests show that the thoery holds, it becomes 'law', if not it is disproven. Such scientific 'proof' is legitimate in a court of law, but apparently not on Audiogon!

There are some things that can't be disproved because science does not yet have the capability or theories to test them accurately, as Richard Dawkins' "celestial teapot" shows; I could say that there is a teapot orbiting the Earth, which at this point in time couldn't be disproved with current astronomical equipment. Does that mean it's true? No, but "teapot-believers" would use that as evidence the teapot must exist.

Science disproves burn in for a simple reason; science uses 'before and after' measurements of various parameters of the cable. If these stay the same after the burn-in period, then the electrical properties of the cable are unchanged and burn-in is not supported. Whether you perceive a change with your (subjective) sense of hearing is another matter.

You have to remember that human ears are an amazingly sensitive piece of equipment, but the way we hear is subject to many other factors; the shape of the outer ear, wax deposits, nasal congestion, and even our mood can change the way we perceive sound.

Despite my science education, I do beleive I can hear differences between IC's and speaker cables, although I haven't noticed any change due to burn-in. But these are just my observations on my system with my ears, not proof.
Sorry Redkiwi, I was not "attacking" you. You made a statement that I didn't agree with and I said so. It was not at all personal.
My definition of proof is "to provide evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true."

Kijanki, if you re-read my post you'll see I agree with you; I DO hear differences in IC's and speaker cables. My point though was that these differences may be immeasureable scientifically or even specific to my hearing.