Digital Support

If you are a true believer in the superiority of digital over analog I need your help. I'm being attacked by a bunch of snobs in a thread in the home theater section entitled " digital rules ".
128x128robedk
Quite a bit, I think (pun intended). But, I'm sorry, I've sedonly lost interest in this or just about any other subject being discussed here (spelling error also intended).
That's okay, your answer was pretty much what I was expecting. Unfortunately, saying that digital is inferior to analog because it inherently loses much of the original signal is like saying the earth is flat because otherwise people on the other side would fall off--it's theoretically and demonstrably untrue. Unless you're prepared to refute digital sampling theory, I would recommend that you avoid this approach.

Also, I think your Star Trek transporter analogy is flawed, as matter is generally seen as being composed of discrete particles anyway, while a waveform is continuous. I think a better analogy would be that of a camera filming an object in motion, with the number of frames per second analogous to the sampling frequency.

Personally, I do think that digital technology in general is superior to analog in terms of offering the best chance of accurately reproducing the original signal. However I also think that a legitimate case can be made that the current 16-bit/44.1-kHz CD standard may offer room for improvement.

My preference is for a recording/playback system that is as faithful to the original signal as possible. If others prefer a system that adds "warmth," that's fine too, but it's a different preference. In any case, I don't think anything is accomplished by "this technology sounds better than that technology"-type arguments.
I agree Rpell, the arguement regarding which format sounds better is strictly subjective. It's time we got away from comparing the two. That's what got me so upset in the first place.Either format done well can be extremely rewarding.Personally I am very happy with my digital system but am willing to give analog another listen.I hope others will do the same and quit the snipeing.
Robedk, IMO analogue can give you great moments (natural timbres, sense of space) and disappointing moments (bad recording, worse, badly cut LP)...

I agree with Rpell that PCM is weak software by today's standards -- often, in my system (and to my ears), by yesterday's as well. Witness the improved performance of true SACD or DVD-A vs. redbook CD...

But as you commented before, software, other than CD, is not always easy to come by!
Rpell, unless you are an Audiogon staffer, I don't see how you could have expected my response to Sedond's expulsion.

I am, however, the last person who one would ever expect to defend one technology over another. I never defend any position on any technological issue in these discussions, much less analog v. digital. I only listen to old lps on a modest turntable once in a while. I listen almost exclusively now to regular cds on a meridian cdp and am completely satisfied with it.

I really did lose interest in any of this talk because of the Sedond issue, and respond now only because your reply snidely misinterpreted my lack of interest. I won't have anything to say about this or any other subject from now on. (And yes, I know about the apology and reinstatement. This is not a protest, just a lack of interest.)