Differences between Harbeth, Spendor, Graham, etc. ?

This is perhaps a foolish question, given the subjective nature of this hobby, but is there any consensus regarding differences between the above brands? I’m interested in their "traditional" or "vintage" lines, not the more modern-voiced models.

For example, I’ve read that the Spendor Classic series speakers are, overall, warmer/darker than Harbeths and offer a bit more punch in the bass. If this is true, I would lean toward the former.

stuartk

This dealer only sells tube electronics, so, the Harbeths were not run with the recommended high-powered solid state amps.  Still, Harbeth acquitted itself quite well.  I particularly liked the 30.2 model for its lively, yet not lean or harsh sound.  The HL5+ model was also nice, but, it was a bit more sensitive to placement and electronic choice and could sound not as pleasant as the 30.2 when its more demanding needs were not met.  The 40.3 was particularly demanding of the right amplifier, and while it is a nice speaker, at its price it was a bit disappointing--it was too dynamically polite for my taste.  

I don't know the model numbers, but the Graham that is about the size of the Harbeth 30.2 is a nice sounding speaker.  It does not have the slight tendency to have a sharp edge or sibilance in the upper midrange that the Harbeth has, but, it sounded a bit drier than the Harbeth, so tradeoffs are involved.  For a standmount in that size range, the ProAc D2 is also a decent alternative.  

But, if I had to place a speaker near the corner of the room, my choice would be an Audio Note AN-J or AN-E.  They might be a bit expensive, but, they are extremely muscal sounding speakers that sound great with the lower powered tube amps that I favor.

@larryi

It does not have the slight tendency to have a sharp edge or sibilance in the upper midrange that the Harbeth has, but, it sounded a bit drier than the Harbeth, so tradeoffs are involved.

I only just resolved a sibilance issue that plagued my system for well over a year so I’m particularly wary of introducing anything new into the system that might reawaken that particular sonic demon.

At the same time, "dry" is not an adjective that I tend to regard positively. Perhaps Spendor is a better direction for me to pursue than Harbeth or Graham. RE: amplification, I have no plans to replace my Hegel H390.

Are all Audio Note speakers designed for low wattage tube amps? ? ? 

I suppose that tendency for sibilance in the upper mids is another way of describing what I heard in the 30.2’s (and also in some 40.2’s I’ve heard in a friend’s system). But sibilance is too hard a word, I think. A shade of sibilance, No such thing in the Classic series Spendors I’ve heard ( 3/5 - those before the R2 series I think - , SP 2/3R2, Classic 100) at all, though.

Interesting that Graham is drier than Harbeth. Not my cup of tea, then (most probably).

@donquichotte 

I suppose that tendency for sibilance in the upper mids is another way of describing what I heard in the 30.2’s 

Thanks for your input. I'm inclined to try Spendor Classics first. 

@larryi and @donquichotte

I have the HARBETH 30.2XD’s too. There is not one iota of sibilants or”edge” or insert your own like adjectives whatever,…. in my speakers nor in my system as a whole .Frankly it is a ultra silky smooth audio performance that is clear and unambiguous. My “A” system is posted on AGON fwiw.

@larryi

I don’t doubt that your system experiences some sibilants , but that sibilant is your bespoke wart likely introduced by some link in your bespoke system ,

It is flatly dead wrong to engender the same adverse experience to the HARBETH brand and speaker model as a whole Full stop.