Differences between BW N804 and BW N805?

Besides the low frecuency extension, is there any other difference between these two speakers in terms of overall presentation? Is the midrange and treble the same on both? or, is the midrange on one more forward than on the other one? Thanks for any input.
ragu12226ff

Showing 2 responses by gthirteen

Side by side, I much preferred the 805. There IS a SMALL bit more bass with the 804, but the drivers seem much more integrated with the 805 vs the 804, because of the smaller distance between the drivers (2 on the 805 vs 3 on the 804).
I suspect that most other people that have heard the 2 side by side will say the same. The mid driver on the 804 is a very different driver than the mid/bass driver on the 805. I heard a more recessed or veiled midrange with the 804. I really wanted to like the 804 better, but ultimately, I think the best overall choice would be a used pair of 805s with 1 or 2 REL Strata III subs. They are supposed to mate beautifully with the B&W Nautilus speakers.

good luck
I was talking about the Nautilus series, as I've never heard the Matrix series.

Lthkeeper, did you hear the N804 vs the N805 side by side the same day/same system?

And you can successfully Bi-amp the 805.

IF you're saying that the $3500 804 are worth the additional $1500 over the 805, well, I must respectfully disagree.

I still say that if the 805 don't do it for you, (about the only complaint possible is bass response), a REL Strata sub for $1500 retail will give you real bass response, not just a 9 db lower -3db point.

Plus, you probably will have to use a strong solid state amp to drive the 804, whereas the 805 can actually use and benefit from a tube amp and the REL subwoofers have their own amp built in...

Anyway, whatever you choose, try to hear both side by side, and take into consideration the distance from the speakers that your primary listening position will be.IF it's 7 feet or less, the 804s probably won't sound properly integrated, top to bottom.

Also, if you go with the 805, dont use the B&W stands, they kinda suck.

I would suggest the Osiris stands (you can get from Sigsound.com and avalonav.com)
I have dealt with both, fine gentlemen, the both)

Depending on your seat height, you MAY want to get the 21.5" stands, as I found that the 24" stnads were too high for me.

happy listening!