Difference between mesh vs. solid plate 300B?

I am looking to replace my 300B tubes and I am considering the Emission Labs 300B. This comes in a mesh and a solid plate model. There are other valve manufacturers who make solid plate vs. mesh 300B's, e.g. TJ Full Music.

My question: Can one make a general statement that mesh sounds different to solid plate? If so, what are the differences?

(Second question: the EML 300B mesh has a clear warning not to run the tube at high bias. I am wondering if there are any Cary 211AE owners who are running this tube).
amfibius

Showing 1 response by markusthenaimnut

I'd like to revive this thread. I'm just starting out on the 300b journey, having recently picked up an old, orphaned Audio Electronic Supply SE-1 power amp. It comes stock with the lowly JJ 300b tubes and a pair of nice 5692 drivers, driven in turn by 12AU7s. Despite it's lowly pedigree I love the sound of this thing!

I also read the statement on the Emission Labs website about the "phony" mesh plates that are really simply solid plates with a bunch of holes punched in them. I get it.

However, I'm interested in the sound. And the journey for me is about comparative value and performance. It's one thing to claim that an EML mesh plate 300b sounds good - it should - because these things are really expensive. However, I've also read of those who prefer the sound of other, less expensive contemporary 300b tubes. And the TJ Full Music mesh plate tube has consistently gotten pretty good press for a couple of decades.

So, where does that leave us? I'd love to hear from those who've made the significant investment in the EML mesh plates and hear your thoughts on how they compare to other tubes.