Difference b/w RPG Skyline and GIK QRD diffusors

Hi,
What is the difference b/w these two products in acoustical terms. They seem to be of a different design, but supposed to achieve the same acoust. effect (diffusion).
What should one expect to actually hear in the room with one product in place, vs. the other?
Rives Audio specified design with 6 RPG Skylines on the front wall for my basement, which is $2400. And I'm wondering if GIK QRD panels will offer comparable performance for significantly less money ($258 for two 2'x 4' panels).
maril555

Showing 5 responses by maril555

Thanks,
I know about the DIY RPG project, but can't really picture myself going through the tedious process of cutting 156 pieces of wood for each panel,and then gluing them to the board, and I need four of them.
Lewinskih01, thanks a lot for your explanation, very helpful.
I suspected it to be similar. Here is the question: since the listening position is at the fixed height, the limited vertical dispersion of the QRD panel should not be that critical. I wonder, what I would actually hear with QRD panels vs. Skylines???
Shadorne,
I understand your point, but I'm not an author of this design, Rives Audio is, and since I decided to use them, I would like to follow their design to a letter. I doubt, I know more about room acoustics, then Rives does.
Actually Rives specified Skylines on the front wall, and nor QRD. There also some diffusion on the ceiling and side walls at first refl..points. And , of course, a lot of bass trapping.
RPG does make QRD panels as well, but Skylines are NOT QRD design.
I will try to ask Rives about it.
I did look on line and there seems to be very small to no discount on Skylines, more so on LP version, that I don't need.
If you could post a link, it would be much appreciated.
I did ask Rives, and he was not offended at all. An explanation ( my understanding) is that I have three in-wall
speakers in the front wall, which effectively prevents hemi-cylindr. diffusor to be placed in the center.
With respect to Skyline vs. QRD, his explanation is that Skyline performance is just better.
I've also seen Rives designs with two hemi-cylindrical diffusors behind the speakers, but I didn't insist on having those included in my design.
I suspect, they do choose treatments, based on the level of service one orders. Level 1, which I did, presumes less expensive solutions, and levels 2 and 3 would implement more sofisticated, hence more expensive design elements.