Did the Old Receivers Sound Good?

Before the high end started, we had all these receivers and integrated amps from Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, Sherwood, etc., all with incredible specs.  Then somehow we decided that specs didn't matter and we started moving to the more esoteric stuff from Ampzilla, Krell and whoever, but the specs were not as good.  My question is - Did the old Japanese stuff with the great specs sound better? I don't remember.  I'm asking because many seem to be moving back to the "specs are everything" mindset and I was thinking about all that old stuff with so many zeros to the right of the decimal point. 

chayro

Showing 1 response by jsalerno277

My first system purchased in 1973 was a Pioneer SX828 with Large Advent speakers, an Advent cassette deck, a Thorens TD160 turn table, and a  Sure V15 Cartridge.  The Pioneer, putting out 54 watts into 8 Ohms, is currently driving DCM Time Windows in a second home condo in Vermont.  The DCMs from my 80s system.  The source is a BlueSound Node.  
Overall character of a classic receiver is smooth and sweet as chocolate pudding that many people like and that is forgiving of poorly engineered recordings but presents an opaque picture of reality unlike modern electronics  that are as clear as a Riedel wine glass in the right system.  Dynamics are acceptable but far from the micro dynamic and macro dynamic resolution produced by today’s equipment.  Resolution in general is characterized by absence thereof.  Images are distinct but without the air that is present between images that presents the three dimensional, dense, and palpable images of today’s equipment.   Timbre makes instruments recognizable but that’s about it.  The tuners are able to pull in the signal well in metro areas and sound as acceptable as FM can sound. That said, they produce very nice un-fatiguing sound four hours of background listening and that renters of my ski condo enjoy.  I also enjoy the nostalgic sound when there for background listening.  They are built for reliability if maintained by cleaning volume and balance controls and recapping the few caps they have as evidenced by my almost 50 year old unit.  In conclusion, they are far from todays standards, pretty to look at (oiled wood, blue and white lights glowing, satin finished metal), reliable, and excellent for background listening.   Some like them better than today’s equipment.  Appreciate them for what they are.   To each our own ears.   It amazes me how far technology in our hobby has evolved