Did I ruin my cartridge or my stylus? Or both?

Hi,

I recently played a vinyl record that came with one of my daughters dolls, we were curious about which kind of music was in the "record". There was no music, only loud distortion... I know :(

After that my records sound with a lot of bass. I played songs that I know really well and definitely is too much bass, sometimes even hurt the ears for a millisecond.

Do you think I fully damaged my 300 hours old Audio-Technica AT-VMN95ML? Only the stylus? Only the cartridge? 

I have made all the text book recalibration (VTF/Anti-skate, protractor, etc.) and cleaning. 

I use a Yamaha 500 turntable, a Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 Preamplifier (with matching settings for the VMN95ML) and the Klipsch R-41PM Powered speakers.

Thank you for your opinions!!!

alexco17

The stylus assembly pulls out of the MM cartridge body. Yank it out, have a good look, it’s possible the stylus tip is ok, but you got gunk along-side the cantilever as it recedes into it’s housing, that would make it sound muddy, clean it out, back in business.

I keep this 3.5" diameter mirror, 20x magnifier, on the plinth below my cartridge when at rest. Very easy to view the underside, tilt it, view from various angles. I aim a nearby light at the mirror, it reflects up making it very easy to see everything.

This is another reason a removable headshell is an advantage. Especially if you gunked up a MC cartridge with non-removable stylus.

I will add, if it is ruined, rather than a new stylus for it, I would take the opportunity/advantage to upgrade to a cartridge with wider stereo separation and tighter channel balance, I think the AT540ml is a good choice

a similar sound with far better imaging.

Hello, thank you very much everybody for the recommendations!!!

I always use the Audio Technica cleaning solution for stylus and a gel pad, so I think is more than a dirty stylus. 

I decided to try a new cartridge/stylus. I ordered the Ortophon 2M Blue before reading your suggestion Elliot. 

Problem solved!! Now my system sounds good again, a little different because of the 2M Blue.

Thanks again for your commenters!!!